Fertilizer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been a few months since I've set up my garden on our patio. Everything is thriving.

I added some plant monitoring sensors to each planter and imI getting notifications that the fertilizer content is low. I'm wondering if I should consider adding fertilizer or keep relying on compost?

A little bit about my irrigation system, it's basically backflush/wastewater from the pond filter's cleaning function. It's loaded with organic matter which is good for the plants. That water is pumped into an 8 gallon reservoir where a powerful pump pushes the water through drip lines to thr planters. It's pretty much a self contained irrigation system.

I'm looking at liquid fertilizer and am wondering if it's even to be considered? Should I add a capful directly to the reservoir once every time the reservoir is filled or install an injection type system?

Thanks.

Some pictures of the irrigation reservoir and pump station and pond filter. Not sure if this helps but can't hurt.
20180829_232143.jpg
20180829_232123.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The hydroponics crowd is well supported with a large variety of tank additives that you may care to read about. A hydroponics store will have a knowledgable person typically. You would be well advised to have some mycostop, actinovate or other pathogen fighting system ready to go if you are going to organically fertilize a tank of water, especially if it has a loose cap.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The hydroponics crowd is well supported with a large variety of tank additives that you may care to read about. A hydroponics store will have a knowledgable person typically. You would be well advised to have some mycostop, actinovate or other pathogen fighting system ready to go if you are going to organically fertilize a tank of water, especially if it has a loose cap.
With your advice I found a local hydroponics/indoor gardening store (a Hydrofarm retailer) and I might be in trouble because I visited today and felt like a kid in a toy store. Lol! I'm putting together my shopping list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
With your advice I found a local hydroponics/indoor gardening store (a Hydrofarm retailer) and I might be in trouble because I visited today and felt like a kid in a toy store. Lol! I'm putting together my shopping list.
Careful! They may send you home with a catalog!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My goose is cooked. I'll read through this and my wallet will just stay bare.

Attachments

• 20180830_212430.jpg
    20180830_212430.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 20180830_212416.jpg
    20180830_212416.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 215
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Notice that a lot of that stuff is built for marijuana. You normally won’t care enough about your plant to give it full cycle nutrition to make it worth your $$$ but if you do it can be insane.

I add dry natural amendments to soil, my compost, plants as a side dressing, and also foliar spray and liquid feed various things. I’ve done this with cannabis as well as tomatoes but I throw money away on heirloom vegetables as a hobby.

With plain old Dr.Earth watered down 1/2 strength, a micro foliar spray twice, and a few organic soil amendments I grew a 12’ organic Afghan pot plant last year. Here she was about 2 weeks before harvest behemothing out of a 8x4 raised bed.
7AB54085-201E-4B46-BDC4-48EADF481BD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Notice that a lot of that stuff is built for marijuana. You normally won’t care enough about your plant to give it full cycle nutrition to make it worth your $$$ but if you do it can be insane.

I add dry natural amendments to soil, my compost, plants as a side dressing, and also foliar spray and liquid feed various things. I’ve done this with cannabis as well as tomatoes but I throw money away on heirloom vegetables as a hobby.

With plain old Dr.Earth watered down 1/2 strength, a micro foliar spray twice, and a few organic amendments I grew a 12’ organic Afghan pot plant last year.
I suddenly had an image of a bearded plant.

I do not think the specific gravity of hydro additives is sufficiently dense to provide for in ground fertilizing compared to the weight of dry additives re the weight of water. But there is no loss in a hydro system save what is consumed by the plant of course. Obviously this is not true for soil which leaches excess nutrients away from the plant unless it is bound somehow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I posted a picture of it.

Reservoirs don’t math out right to soil when comparing similar fertilizers. It may be cheaper/more efficient but almost all of my experience is outdoor so I’m just guessing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I posted a picture of it.

Reservoirs don’t math out right to soil when comparing similar fertilizers. It may be cheaper/more efficient but almost all of my experience is outdoor so I’m just guessing.
Right..me too. That why the comparison to water. Water is a good standard mass to weigh everything against should you find yourself in a snowstorm with a need to do some gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I know that stuff is particular to the marijuana industry. Growrooms, tents etc.

I'm hoping the apartment management will let me seal off the open end of the patio this winter and run it as a solarium/conservatory. Still I'll need some means of climate control so I'll probably be draining my wallet quite a bit.

Ask a Question