fertilizer shelf life

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Question: Do fertilizers have a shelf life or expiration date?

My wife just purchased a package of Miracle-Gro, opened it and used some only to find that we already had a package of it from last year (or maybe even 2 years ago). Does it matter which we use? Should I be tossing the unused? Are there differences in this depending on the type of fertilizer? thanks for any help. Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The water mix mg can separate into a blue liquid that seeeps to the bottome of the package at which point I would wash the whole thing over my compost pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It’s fine. Some of them in dry form can keep for decades with little potency loss.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. If it makes headfullofbees feel any better, you can rest assured that I try not to use much of the stuff (which is why we end up year to year with extra) AND just today my wife wants to put turf builder on our lawn. I have never used anything on the lawns and would rather not. We are 'arguing ' the point right now. What is in turf builder?? Is it only a fertilizer or is it also a weed killer? I'm going to have to look into this.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
As you're in NY, it makes little difference to me personally what chemicals you use to "fertilise" your plants.
My post was advice.
You'll be happier if you try your best to use organic, or near organic, means, as everyone I know who has made the change, feels much better with what they grow, happier in their hobby, and a oneness with the earth which sounds like melodramatic claptrap, but which I promise is true.
Growing your own fertiliser is even better.

Ask a Question