nettle fertilizer for tomatoes?

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I found an article which says that nettle fertilizer is very usefull while cultivating tomatoes. It causes that tomatoes grow very fast and of course it is more healthier than artificial fertilizers. The nettle one also provide all needed nutrients and tomatoes are less likely to have diseases. I heard about it first time, so I wanted to ask you if it works? How to prepare it?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Something high in potash when it is fruiting. On a box of fertilisers, you have NPK. Check those numbers please and a high P number is what you need for feed when they are beginning to flower. Have to say to prepare it is easy and it is actually good for a lot of things.

You chop your stinging nettles. If you want it quick, go over them with a lawnmower. This will increase the speed of decomposition in water. Some say pour hot water, some say just water and weight the stuff down with a brick and shut the lid and let the whole pot go foul. I think @Upsy Daisy has provided you with a good link.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The article says that tomatoes don't like iron, but I knew someone (no longer with us, but lived to a good age) who fed his tomatoes with (amongst other things) hen's blood.
It does make the tomato flavour very strong, but isn't damaging.
I would say, "Yes." to incorporating some nettle tea into tomato food, but better if you can get it, is a tea made from a mixture of seaweed and comfrey, or even just comfrey.

Ask a Question