Bug spray

Reaction score
Country
United States
My son saw a regular household spider near my plants and decided to spray them with raid ant spray. I didn’t notice till 3 days later. Now the leaves are kinda looking ‘oil soaked’ how do I help my Brazilian Philodendron?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't spray any more 'raid ant spray' on it and hope it recovers. Of course this is evidence that you have just had a toxic spill in your house. The Philodendron and the spider might not be the only lifeforms ill-affected. House spiders can be beneficial to your indoor ecosystem. Even if you are unable to abide them, you should try moving them outside, or even squashing them. Anything would be better that buying and spraying those bug sprays anywhere, especially around your own home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't spray any more 'raid ant spray' on it and hope it recovers. Of course this is evidence that you have just had a toxic spill in your house. The Philodendron and the spider might not be the only lifeforms ill-affected. House spiders can be beneficial to your indoor ecosystem. Even if you are unable to abide them, you should try moving them outside, or even squashing them. Anything would be better that buying and spraying those bug sprays anywhere, especially around your own home.
I’m a live n let live kind of girl but my SO and son are freaked by spiders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I’m a live n let live kind of girl but my SO and son are freaked by spiders.
I was too until I saw a spider eating a scorpion. Now its live and let live. Except for old crazy webs. You know the one with the shiny black body and a red tattoo of an hourglass on her belly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if 'Raid' is the same thing in the US as it is here, but if it is Marck is right about a 'Toxic spill'. The instructions on the UK tin say close all doors and windows before spraying then leave the room for a period, then allow the room to air before you use it again. In other words it kills everything in the room and it is toxic to humans. I decided it was not something I ever wanted to use when I read that. Is your son old enough to read? Could be a good idea to point out it is worth reading the instructions on the tin before using things.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. How do I put this nicely? I do not need instructions on the toxicity of bug killers. That is their point. To kill life. What I need help in a plant forum with is the plant itself. Is it possible to get some information on the out look of my plant? How do I help the plant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies. Have you tried wiping off the 'oiled' leaves with a damp cloth? The problem with wiping leaves like that is that it can block up the 'breathing' holes in the leaf, but it sounds like that might be happening anyway, maybe try a couple of leaves first and see what the reaction is.

Ask a Question