Apple Trees - Spray for bugs - When and with what?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure I can walk up to the register at Tractor Supply or Rural King and ask Billy-Bob what to use, but I would really appreciate the advice I can get from the people on this forum.

Last year was the first time I could have gotten a decent number of apples from my trees. They're about 6 years old now. I lost most of them to insects.

Someone told me last year that you should spray with wax in the spring.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sure I can walk up to the register at Tractor Supply or Rural King and ask Billy-Bob what to use, but I would really appreciate the advice I can get from the people on this forum.

Last year was the first time I could have gotten a decent number of apples from my trees. They're about 6 years old now. I lost most of them to insects.

Someone told me last year that you should spray with wax in the spring.

Any advice?

Thanks,
In all reality you should spray with either Neem Oil or dormant oil TWICE. After leaf drop in the fall and again just before budding in the spring. This spraying will control insects and eggs that have overwintered. There are many types of insects that damage fruit that spraying with the Neem or dormant oil will not affect. It would help to know what they are but, if you will keep a close watch on your trees you can stop these insects before they do any real harm. The best all around insecticide is a spinosad based product. It controls just about all insects and caterpillars that you will encounter but you MUST keep a close watch and control them before they start doing any damage.

Ask a Question