What are your top apple trees?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Lord Lambourne apple tree. As usual, I have sinned because of the reduction.. Reduced and therefore purchase..

Had a look at a video. The couple said that Lord Lambourne is one of the top five and yet they are not very resistant to wildlife .. cracks everywhere and end up being juiced for cider.

Have you had satisfaction with your apple trees? How would you rate them for their

1) flavour - sweetness
2) cropping - heavy or not
3) diseases and resistance to nuisances ..
4) hardiness

I am not interested in cooking apples..

Thank you for your opinions ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Egremont Russet for me ....excellent all round. Picked early they are crisp and sharp. Leave them a while longer and they are the best russet taste :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, no! I saw tons of them in Basildon, but it is miles away. When you say sharp, does it mean sour?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sharp as in making your eyes water......love cooking apples for that reason too. Egremont has a pleasant mild taste when left a tad longer.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, not on my dart board ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I hope to have Gala as well and Pink Lady. Judge Judith Sheindlin's favorite apple.. I might get a Katy .. Crispp Pink if I can find one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have (in order of preference) Pink Lady, Granny Smith, and Gala. The Pink Lady is a great eat-out-of-hand apple, Granny is a good tart cooking apple and I do a lot of pies and apple bread, and Gala is much like Pink Lady except a bit more tart. I just picked some apples for Waldorf Salad with dinner tonight. How great is it to go out and pick apples off your very own tree--fresh and tasty!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
. How great is it to go out and pick apples off your very own tree--fresh and tasty!

Yes, exactly what I thought! (Does it sound like a groundhog day! Hehe!

I am also after a compact apricot.. Years ago, saw and smelt one apricot bursting with flavour and ripeness in a conservatory, so wanted to give it a twist .. and sink it into my mouth. I must email them to find out the name.. and I must have one..

Ask a Question