This Made Me Feel Better

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just went to town. I have some plants that just didn't like direct sun and it hurt them.

Seen some Boston Ferns For Sale they had been out in direct sun. They were showing they didn't like it.

Crazy weather everyone has been in a hurry to garden. Watching a farmer put his Potatoes out St. Patrick's Day. They was up nice and pretty, then frost put them down. He was going to replant.

I've seen this before and the Potatoes did very well after being knocked back.

big rockpile

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've experienced this several times over the years with potatoes.

It is critical here to get them growing up above ground as soon as possible in spring so as to beat the extreme heat we get starting about June 1. This runs the risks of getting the tops nipped back by late frosts, but it is necessary risk to take to get a great crop of new potatoes.

In my experience, the yield on potatoes that have above ground plants that are killed back by frost/freeze is reduced about 10% for the first frost and about 25% or more for a second frost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm growing once again in Bags but going back to in ground.

I plant Kennebecs. I have mulched and left them in the ground most of the Winter having them be good and solid. Only type that I have did good with.

I do realize I could dig and replant if I wish.

big rockpile

Ask a Question