Anybody made ericaceous compost with any success?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There’s conflicting information online on how to make ericaceous compost. Has anybody successfully made any? I need it for my blueberry plants of which I have 14 of in pots.

Thanks in advance

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly why not buy some in. Once planted you won't need much on a yearly basis.
If I was going to make some I would go with

JOHN INNES ERICACEOUS COMPOST:​

2 Loam
1 Peat
1 Sand
To each cubic metre of mix, add
0.6kg flowers of sulphur
1.2kg superphosphate
And mix in a cement mixer.

I use composted pine needles and conifer chippings as an acidic top dressing for the camellias, rhododendrons and other acid loving plants I grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not using peat as I’ve seen it’s not environmentally friendly. Il buy some as a last resort but I’ve got 14 plants and I want to transplant them into large pots so I’m going to need a lot and it’s expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What if you water the compost pile with distilled vinegar? It is stronger than what you think it is and doesn't add a bunch of chlorine or sulfur. It would have to lower the pH of the pile but It would be a crap shoot on the final pH level of the compost.

I have one of those cheap analog pH meters I use to estimate my garden soil pH without having to break out the chemical test. It took me a long time to realize with those meters YOU don't water the soil with anything and then test the pH level, you let it rain on the soil and then check the pH. That seems to be a lot more accurate on those meters reading.

You may have to let the compost break down into soil before being able to use the meter though. I've never used it on a compost pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ditto in how to use a pH meter. The day after it rains works for me.

Compost inherently works towards neutral. No need to measure until you start building soil and then mass is your friend.

Garden calculators for lime and sulphur pH typically consider soil type to a depth of 6 inches. Pots have a volume so its gonna be a decent guess once you figure out the area since most calculators use 1000 square feet for the answer.

Or use a fertilizer made to purpose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There’s conflicting information online on how to make ericaceous compost. Has anybody successfully made any? I need it for my blueberry plants of which I have 14 of in pots.

Thanks in advance
We've found that whatever you use, it will drift back to neutral. What seems to be working for us is to repot each winter and mix in some sulphur chips/powder.

As for making it in the first place - mix sulphur chips/powder into your compost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not tested for ph, but going on the basis that oak leaves are acidic I have planted blueberry with plenty of oak leaf mould in the mix, it seems to be working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've found that whatever you use, it will drift back to neutral. What seems to be ok
We've found that whatever you use, it will drift back to neutral. What seems to be working for us is to repot each winter and mix in some sulphur chips/powder.

As for making it in the first place - mix sulphur chips/powder into your compost.
ok thanks. What ratio do you use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not tested for ph, but going on the basis that oak leaves are acidic I have planted blueberry with plenty of oak leaf mould in the mix, it seems to be working.
Yeah that was my plan to make a compost consisting of acidic leaves, pine needles, coffee grinds etc. I read that it reverts to neutral after though.

Ask a Question