Homemade bread

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My third attempt at whole meal bread. Tastes good.
Decided I didn't want the preservatives of bought bread and needed whole meal with a softness to suit my old gums and teeth.

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My third attempt at whole meal bread. Tastes good.
Decided I didn't want the preservatives of bought bread and needed whole meal with a softness to suit my old gums and teeth.
Wow, that looks amazing. I made loads of errors when I started, and as I got more old and uselessly tired I decided to try and make an easier job of my bread.
I've ended up with a favourite easy recipe that doesn't seem to go wrong. It doesn't even involve loads of kneading.
You are right about the taste. I wouldn't even consider the shop bought rubbish again.

There is one cheating recipe I found that doesn't involve yeast at all, and although it doesn't have the same yeasty aroma, it's a 30 minute bake if you're desperate for a quick sandwich.
Basic recipe.
2 Ingredients. 2 cups self raising flour, and one and a quarter cups WHOLE milk.
Mix together. Don't over mix, just enough to make a smooth batter. Line a smallish loaf pan with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour.

This recipe can be adjusted - either sweet or savoury with any ingredients you want, and can be a useful stand by sometimes.

Worth a try :unsure:
We have tried this a couple of times, and it is certainly a very useful standby. If ingredients become more difficult to get hold of it could be a very useful recipe to have. We always keep plenty of whole milk in the freezer, with back up solar power, and stock up on flour too. Baking powder can be added to all purpose flour of course.
I mostly learn about prepping from you lot in the USA via Youtube.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...This recipe can be adjusted - either sweet or savoury with any ingredients you want, and can be a useful stand by sometimes.

Worth a try :unsure:
Wonder how it would be with a few fresh garden jalapenos added?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love making bread. Been making homemade bread for the last 50+ years. My secret is to hold off adding the salt until half the flour is added. I do use active yeast. Many years ago used the cake yeast, seems they don't sell that much anymore.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
2 Ingredients. 2 cups self raising flour, and one and a quarter cups WHOLE milk.
That's simple. I will try it.
I do use active yeast.
Does that mean fresh yeast - not dried? The only yeast I could get had an emulsifier 491 - which I must look up.
Wonder how it would be with a few fresh garden jalapenos added
Addictive. :LOL: I am getting Indian whole meal tomorrow and that is more refined and could be better as raisin inclusion. There are lots of eggy cakes which have lots of spices traditionally included. There are also chocolate bakes that go well with chilies.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good call Redback (y)

I was saying to Tetters a bread making thread would be a good idea after your suggestion on the other thread :)

We were listening to Doctor Dhand the other night, he was saying the less stuff thats been added to shop bought bread the better. He was looking around the American shops and struggling to find bread that didn't have unnecessary oils/fats/chemicals added to it.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
When you've given it a try, let us know ok. That's just a small challenge to start with. 🌶️
Presenting "Tetters Bread":

tetters bread.JPG

Taste is wonderful. The Jalapenos spice it up very nicely. I'm thinking it does need a little salt...us Texans like our salt, :)

I will definitely make some more in the future. I like it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 102310

Taste is wonderful. The Jalapenos spice it up very nicely. I'm thinking it does need a little salt...us Texans like our salt, :)

Wonderful job young man - see, that didn't take you long did it :D I think it just lacks the yeasty taste and aroma, but it is more than acceptable isn't it - and quick.
You can have top marks for that effort!!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Good call Redback (y)
Thanks, although you might have explained to us how the food we eat is our call, on another thread. My mum did have a break from cooking on Friday nights when we would sit in our FJ Holden, down the beachfront, eating fish and chips and having a bottle of Coke.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
what they sell now a days is dry yeast in a packet. I get the active. it takes pulse warm water, scant of sugar, drift the yeast on top. Let sit 9 mins. it will foam, so you know its alive, or it woke up. then I add half the flour mix a bit , add rest of flour. and oil, knead. cover and let rise. etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have all purpose flour. Have made what they call quick bread with it. It is added to it baking powder. I make a cheese bread with regular flour. Then there is banana bread, pumpkin bread, etc. Christmas breads made with all purpose flour. Rarely I buy self rising flour.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
what they sell now a days is dry yeast in a packet. I get the active. it takes pulse warm water, scant of sugar, drift the yeast on top. Let sit 9 mins. it will foam, so you know its alive, or it woke up. then I add half the flour mix a bit , add rest of flour. and oil, knead. cover and let rise. etc.
Okay I get it. You have a prepared activated yeast and sugar mix that you then add the flour to. Reminds me of the days I brewed my own beer. I did get a fresh yeast from the local bakery to make my yeast inoculants for gardening. I might try fresh yeast on the web.
Your banana and pumpkin bread will break the monotony of the same all the time. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

View attachment 102310

This is when most folks find out that their hind end has taste buds too.

Ask a Question