Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Wonderful job young man - see, that didn't take you long did it :D
Thanks. The ingredients are simple and had on hand so 30 minutes to bake it.

Do put salt in bread? Asking cause, it seemed to need some.

That was quick. Perhaps a little longer in the oven and maybe coat the top with melted butter for a better all-round tan. What's your Jalapenos recipe please.
Thanks. It is fast and simple and agree on more time in oven and melted butter toping. I just chopped up three large jalapenos and threw them in the mix.

How about salt in your bread? Do you use it?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just chopped up three large jalapenos and threw them in the mix.
So that's melted butter on the cut slice.
I mix 400gms (a bit less than 2 cups) of wholemeal flour, 11gms (0.6oz.) of dried yeast, one teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar together as the dry ingredients and then add the wet stuff. 250ml (a cup) of warm water and 15ml (0.03pints) of olive oil are the wet stuff.
The German woman who has this recipe on the YouTube brushes a mixture of milk and olive oil on the crust instead of melted butter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The oil and the salt can act as a preservative but won't do much when it's only 15 of the 265 g of hydration.

We've been baking our family's bread at home for about 8 years now.

Current 2 loaf batch is 1400 g flour, 930 g water, 2 T yeast (active dry powder), 1 T table salt. We blend high gluten bread flour and all purpose flours 1:1.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We've been baking our family's bread at home for about 8 years now.
That's impressive. I reckon when you've cooked a recipe three times you have it pretty well memorized. When you've cooked it twelve times you have made so many small changes that now it's your recipe.
Do you bake two loaves a day?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I get by if I remember my bread code, 162,163, and go from there. It's by grams. 100% flour, 60% water, 2% yeast, 1% salt, 6% butter, 3% sugar. I like to add some wheat flour and sometimes use lard or other proper fats. There is water in the butter but it does not matter much.

I enjoy sourdough but its hard for me to keep up with so I buy those. Usually english muffins.

My favorite bread right now could be called a pasta but with baking powder. Fry breads are basically tortillas and I got started when I had a chalupa. But those are more of a dish. I can eat lard tortillas by themselves though. Turns out by weight you do not need as much and it sure makes a nicer texture.

Ever heard of the golden ratio? Thats how I remember pasta. Flour to eggs. 1.618 or pretty close is good enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Do you bake two loaves a day?
That 2 loaf batch lasts about 3 days. Any you're right that recipe started very different and has evolved.

If you want much of the flavor of sourdough with a sandwich bread texture try doing a poolish. About 24 hours before you want to bake it mix 100 g of flour and 100 g of water and a pinch of the yeast. Let that ferment. When ready to make the whole loaf add the poolish into the recipe but that 100 g flour and 100 g water counts in your totals. So in your case you'd add the remaining 300 g of flour and 150 g of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
You probably seen for sale Bisquick, its a form of self rising flour, just compare the ingredients. Anyway, a box of that on hand with some buttermilk and couple eggs makes good pancakes, or biscuits.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Meadowlark, I usually add salt if it's a savoury style bread, onion or garlic - cheese, peppers tomatoes etc. seeds and herbs, - oh yes, and jalapenos, whatever we fancy.
In sweet breads, I add currants or sultanas, nuts, spices, honey, egg, sugar, etc - not usually all of these together.
Milled flax seed is good, and chia seeds, any mixture. There is no hard and fast rule.
I experiment all the time, discard the ideas that don't work so well and keep the gooduns!
It's all to do with taste, and having a bit of fun 😋

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
With all the add-ins being tossed at bread do any of you know what seed cakes were that Bilbo served the dwarfs in The Hobbit?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you want much of the flavor of sourdough with a sandwich bread texture try doing a poolish.
Okay - does this poolish have the same flour as the main bread? To be honest I have no plans for a home sour dough. Are you using sour dough?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
have a quick cheese herb bread I make. Quick breads mean no yeast, just in case you did not know that term.
I am having trouble imagining a cheese bread. How do you incorporate the cheese? Can we have the recipe please. I'm a beginner and have no idea of what a quick bread with no yeast would be like.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You probably seen for sale Bisquick, its a form of self rising flour, just compare the ingredients. Anyway, a box of that on hand with some buttermilk and couple eggs makes good pancakes, or biscuits.
Pancakes and biscuits sound good. There's a lot to baking isn't there?

Ask a Question