Homemade weed killer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've read in numerous places that Dawn, white vinegar, and salt makes for a great homemade weed killer. I'm curious if it is effective on poison ivy. I have a long stretch of poison ivy in one area of my property line that is about 150-200 feet from what I can tell. I'd like to get rid of the ivy. Has anyone ever used it on poison ivy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm very alergic to poison ivy. I don't let any of it grow within eyes view. I've never used that potion but I've used Spectracide weed and grass killer on poison ivy. It usually kills within a few days.

If Dawn, vinegar, and salt do work, I would like to know how much of each ingredient you put in it so I can use this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm very alergic to poison ivy. I don't let any of it grow within eyes view. I've never used that potion but I've used Spectracide weed and grass killer on poison ivy. It usually kills within a few days.

If Dawn, vinegar, and salt do work, I would like to know how much of each ingredient you put in it so I can use this.
homemade-weed-killer-natural.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last year or maybe the year before I remember seeing a commercial vinegar for sale at Walmart where the weed killers were located. It did say it was for killing weeds. Seems like it was 35% strength or something and seems like you had to pour it on without diluting it much. I'm not sure how a 3% vinegar would do. I don't remember how much it was but it was very expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1 gallon 10% pickling vinegar, 2 oz orange oil and a squirt of dishsoap works very well too. I just don't care to be putting salt around or in my garden soil.

Ask a Question