Does homemade fungicide work for anthracnose on Mango

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Does the homemade fungicide of ‘bicarbonate of soda, oil, washing up liquid, and water’ work for anthracnose on Mango?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
the homemade fungicide of ‘bicarbonate of soda, oil, washing up liquid, and water’ work for anthracnose on Mango?
If it were mine I would use an organic copper spray or Neem. Soda might work but anthracnose is a serious plant disease so I would use something I knew would work. What do the commercial growers in Thailand use.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
If it were mine I would use an organic copper spray or Neem. Soda might work but anthracnose is a serious plant disease so I would use something I knew would work. What do the commercial growers in Thailand use.
Thanks for the reply, The disease is present around the lower leaves of the mango tree. It’s important to treat it since the small mango fruits are growing. For the past few days however, the some mango have been falling prematurely.

I treated the scale with chlorpyrifos but I’m looking for a more natural way (i heard these chemicals cause brain damage)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, The disease is present around the lower leaves of the mango tree. It’s important to treat it since the small mango fruits are growing. For the past few days however, the some mango have been falling prematurely.

I treated the scale with chlorpyrifos but I’m looking for a more natural way (i heard these chemicals cause brain damage)
Neem works great on scale. I am not completely sure about anthracnose but Neem is a fungicide as well as an insecticide. Research shows 70% Neem works well on it. But if you can get a copper spray I would probably use it. Over here it is organic but I don't know what is available in Thailand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Iodine is natural. A couple tbsp betadine per gallon water (1oz - 30ml) with a sticker will clean up topical mess. Its hard to get it into the soil down around the roots of course. If you drench a lot because its dry use 1 tbsp. I have also fought it off with humagro promax which is a thyme oil humic product. Cinnamon oil will stop its growth as well. The caveat to iodophors is a little goes a long way. My suggestion of tbsp is for rapid control. Look at the beer industry sanitation recipes for iodophors and you will see them using sanitizers made of iodine that do not have to be rinsed off, but the quantity of active ingredient is very small.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Neem works great on scale. I am not completely sure about anthracnose but Neem is a fungicide as well as an insecticide. Research shows 70% Neem works well on it. But if you can get a copper spray I would probably use it. Over here it is organic but I don't know what is available in Thailand.
Thank you, I will see if I can get it.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Iodine is natural. A couple tbsp betadine per gallon water (1oz - 30ml) with a sticker will clean up topical mess. Its hard to get it into the soil down around the roots of course. If you drench a lot because its dry use 1 tbsp. I have also fought it off with humagro promax which is a thyme oil humic product. Cinnamon oil will stop its growth as well. The caveat to iodophors is a little goes a long way. My suggestion of tbsp is for rapid control. Look at the beer industry sanitation recipes for iodophors and you will see them using sanitizers made of iodine that do not have to be rinsed off, but the quantity of active ingredient is very small.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anthracnose is one ugly disease. It darken your leaves slowly and once it reaches the flowers, the premature fruit will either blacken or fall out prematurely.

Ask a Question