Where Have All the Lady Bugs Gone?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a little 8 x 8 completely-screened-in "greenhouse." Aphids got in, and so I bought 500 lady bugs 2 days ago. I set them free to graze that evening. The bugs did a remarkable job. Within hours, I couldn't find an aphid anywhere, and my lady bugs were still all over my plants. The next am there were still plenty of lady bugs everywhere in the greenhouse. By the evening, I could only find one. Today, I couldn't find any. The greenhouse is enclosed with fine netting, so the bugs can't just fly away. I installed a small pipe as feeder/housing for the bugs, and put honey in it. No bugs in there, today. Any ideas on where they went?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why would you put honey in a greenhouse? If there are no ladybug carcasses laying around all of the ladybugs went to where there was something to eat as they didn't have anything else to eat. Ladybugs don't eat honey and neither to bees. If they didn't leave they were eaten by other insects or frogs/toads.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why would you put honey in a greenhouse? If there are no ladybug carcasses laying around all of the ladybugs went to where there was something to eat as they didn't have anything else to eat. Ladybugs don't eat honey and neither to bees. If they didn't leave they were eaten by other insects or frogs/toads.
He used honey to try to trap them, is my guess.

Frogs, toads, even lizards would eat ladybugs. Notice any holes in the garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Several YouTube videos said to provide honey to keep them in the area. Very small space. Either the bugs can get through the netting or they're very good at hiding. No biggie; aphids are gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
It's possible I have them. Though mine are mostly the Asian variety. They still eat aphids so there's that. Seriously though my roses, milkweed and even a flowering second year parsnip are providing a good home for the aphids. The ladybirds, especially, the babies, hoover them up. Now I have lacewings which is exciting. Here is a junior ladybird but I think he's an asian because he is so spiky.

Attachments

• 20210613_080223.jpg
    20210613_080223.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's very common for people to purchase lady bug, only to have them fly away. Ladybugs, as with many other beneficial insects need more than just food, they need water and shelter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine were in a completely closed (netted) environment. A water mister runs 3x/day. There are dark, sheltered areas, as well. No frogs, lizards, toads, birds, mantises. In any case, they took care of the aphids before they decided to transfer to another dimension.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK. See my location. These tiny creatures also seem to be missing from our gardens. I can't speak about buying any. I don't know if this is British practice. In my garden throughout the summer, lady birds are a familiar sight. Approaching the fall, my windows are often a landing area for many. Then suddenly they have gone. Come spring, I find many tiny baby lady bugs on my inside window sill. I assume they manage to hatch within the rubber seals of the double glazing. As far as possible, I gather them up and place them outside. Sadly many die before I find them. Returning to the original question. What's happened to them. As far as I am aware, they have no enemies. Their bold colouring being a great protection. Their absence, due to climate change? insecticides or what.

Ask a Question