Strange bugs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed this this morning while watering my plants. This is a vinca, and on just one leaf, there was this cluster of bugs. I've never seen anything like this before. Does anyone know what they are - should I kill them, or are they beneficial?

Attachments

• STRANGE BUGS.jpg
    STRANGE BUGS.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed this this morning while watering my plants. This is a vinca, and on just one leaf, there was this cluster of bugs. I've never seen anything like this before. Does anyone know what they are - should I kill them, or are they beneficial?
Those are baby-leaf-footed stinkbugs. Kill them immediately. Check the rest of your plants for clusters of eggs and smash them. On flowering plants these bugs are vectors of disease. On vegetables they damage fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, clean up as many as you can find. You won't get them all but it is prudent to reduce their numbers. They can damage a wide variety of plants. You can knock them off into a small bucket of soap and water.

The eggs of the leaf-footed bugs (Leptoglossus spp.) are laid in a rows and look like small brown sticks on leaves or stems. You might find the empty egg case of this brood near by, since they have not dispersed yet.

Here is an entertaining and informative article about them:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are baby-leaf-footed stinkbugs. Kill them immediately. Check the rest of your plants for clusters of eggs and smash them. On flowering plants these bugs are vectors of disease. On vegetables they damage fruit.
Thank you for your prompt response. I tried to remove the leaf with the bugs still on it, but as soon as they noticed movement, they started to scatter. I managed to get most of them with the leaf, but a few escaped. I then sprayed the plant with insecticide. I'll be keeping a close watch on this plant especially, but also on my other plants. I don't grow any vegetables, so I don't have to worry about that. Thanks again.

Ask a Question