Anybody noticing a lot of strange bugs lately?

Reaction score
Over the recent years we have been seeing more and more strange bugs. We have been finding different bugs that are finding their way to our yard and inside the house. Even the stink bugs are fairly new to our area - within the last few years.

Last year we ended up getting the Asian Tiger Mosquito, which we hadn't had when I was younger. It is quite aggressive and now probably here to stay. There are also a bigger variety of spiders over the last couple years. Ones that look quite funky too!

Has anybody else started to experience a bunch of new and strange bugs in your area? I wonder if it has to do with import/export of goods or more to do with the weather changing all over.

Reaction score
I would not say that I have noticed strange new bugs but I have noticed an abundance of the bugs I already see but in larger numbers. I live in California and I used to see bugs like the big june bugs every once in while like weeks or months would go by without me coming into contact with one but lately I have been seeing them almost everywhere I go like in front of my house and even by my school.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here, where I live, we have the Asian Tiger Mosquito too. But these nasty creatures are nothing new, they have always been here. My city is a mosquito's paradise: there are so many ponds and a big river. Lately, it has been impossible to go for a walk, awful mosquitoes are everywhere. I have no idea what would I do without my mosquito net.
Tiera Patterson - I love june bugs, they look so pretty!:)

Reaction score
Here, where I live, we have the Asian Tiger Mosquito too. But these nasty creatures are nothing new, they have always been here. My city is a mosquito's paradise: there are so many ponds and a big river. Lately, it has been impossible to go for a walk, awful mosquitoes are everywhere. I have no idea what would I do without my mosquito net.
Tiera Patterson - I love june bugs, they look so pretty!:)

We have always had mosquitoes, but the Asian Tiger Mosquito is new to us here. It is fairly new to the US from what I understand and last year was the first year we had them by us.

Those buggers are aggressive!! The town sprayed for them and a couple hours after they sprayed I found one biting my daughter. Hoping not to encounter many of them this year - they just keep biting. The girls were getting bitten last summer and we couldn't figure out what was getting them. We were starting to think there were bugs in the house but then they put up the warnings about the Tiger Mosquito so we figured that is what it was that kept biting them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I was reading an article about the climate change, and it was explaining that it is also affecting where the insects and animals are able to live. Some are moving all the way into Canada that used to be much further south, as the weather is getting warmer further north.
I think even armadillos are moving further and further north as the conditions warm up to where they can live there.
I have it really noticed new bugs , but it does seem like we have a lot more than normal this year, and that is in Alabama.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We have always had mosquitoes, but the Asian Tiger Mosquito is new to us here. It is fairly new to the US from what I understand and last year was the first year we had them by us.

Those buggers are aggressive!! The town sprayed for them and a couple hours after they sprayed I found one biting my daughter. Hoping not to encounter many of them this year - they just keep biting. The girls were getting bitten last summer and we couldn't figure out what was getting them. We were starting to think there were bugs in the house but then they put up the warnings about the Tiger Mosquito so we figured that is what it was that kept biting them.

Fortunately the Asian Tiger Mosquito isn't dangerous, it's just extremely annoying, nothing more. My city haven't sprayed for them yet, can you imagine? We have a real plague here, mosquitoes are everywhere...and they're hungry. I planed to have a picnic in the park, but for now it's out of question because of the nasty creatures:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I was reading an article about natural mosquito repellant , and it said to soak cloves in rubbing alcohol for 4 days, add a dab of baby oil, and then put it in a sprayer, and spray or on when you are going out where there are mosquitoes. It doesn't kill the nasty little pests, but it is supposed to repel them.
I haven't tried it, and I didn't have any whole cloves, but I put some ground cloves in the alcohol, and it is soaking. Then I will filter it through a coffee filter and Ito the spray bottle, add the oil, and test it out.
The mosquitoes here are terrible, especially in the evenings, when I want to go out and water the garden.

Reaction score
I haven't had any weird insects but I just have weird ants. Black ants are eating my parlor palm and they killed two tomato plants last year and two mint plants.
I keep reading that ants are harmless to plants and coffee grounds repel them. The coffee grounds are just a minor inconvenience for the ants and they still eat my plants.
Right before my mint plant died last year, it was swarming with ants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was reading an article about natural mosquito repellant , and it said to soak cloves in rubbing alcohol for 4 days, add a dab of baby oil, and then put it in a sprayer, and spray or on when you are going out where there are mosquitoes. It doesn't kill the nasty little pests, but it is supposed to repel them.
I haven't tried it, and I didn't have any whole cloves, but I put some ground cloves in the alcohol, and it is soaking. Then I will filter it through a coffee filter and Ito the spray bottle, add the oil, and test it out.
The mosquitoes here are terrible, especially in the evenings, when I want to go out and water the garden.

I haven't heard about this natural mosquito repellent before. Nasty mosquitoes are driving me crazy, so I'm desperate and I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you for the tip!

Reaction score

I use garlic powder in the yard and it seems to keep them and the fleas out of our yard for the most part, but we live along a big river so when we go for a walk anywhere the mosquitoes are waiting for us. Our town does have a huge spider population so it does keep the mosquito population down some and not as bad as they would be without all the spiders. I mean some people totally freak out here in the summer because spiders are literally everywhere - every street sign, every light, every post on all the decks at night.

But we do have bugs that don't get caught in the webs and find their way to bite us here. I will have to try this mix, I have been getting bitten by something this year (don't think mosquito tho) and my daughters were getting bitten last year.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not really noticed any new bugs to the area. I will have to try the repellant mix before I go out to the yard to avoid being eaten alive by the bugs in the grass. The no-see-umms.

Ask a Question