Strange looking Fruit on my Potato Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Never seen these before, but apparently they contain Solanine which is poisonous.
63C425F4-E182-45DF-8732-2A88CDAF8134.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Potato Apples :eek:

They do contain Solanine, nasty stuff. Spent a happy few hours clutching my tummy sat on the bog after eating that :(

Don't plant the seeds from them either, the resulting tubers would need testing before trying them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom

They do contain Solanine, nasty stuff. Spent a happy few hours clutching my tummy sat on the bog after eating that :(

Don't plant the seeds from them either, the resulting tubers would need testing before trying them :)
Many thanks, yes I read that it’s not always best to use those seeds, they are now in my green bin

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My pleasure :)

Best place for them :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I should have said...

Thanks for posting this as it's good to raise awareness of them at this time of year :)

Saves people asking if they can eat the tomato thinger on the top of their potato plants :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I regard it as received wisdom that potatoes when they flower have done growing their tubers which will be better off harvested, but I have no evidence to support it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Dem little balls are seed pods. They are used to develop new potatoes after much work. It takes dedication and effort. Potatoes grown conventionally are clones. the seed pods produce seeds with the outside chance there may be new type produced, but the chances are about the same as winning a Canadian lottery or a majority for the Conservatives in the upcoming election.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dem little balls are seed pods. They are used to develop new potatoes after much work. It takes dedication and effort. Potatoes grown conventionally are clones. the seed pods produce seeds with the outside chance there may be new type produced, but the chances are about the same as winning a Canadian lottery or a majority for the Conservatives in the upcoming election.
It doesn't finish there of course, you have grown this super plant from seed, you now need to plant every tuber you can get from it for several years before you have enough to want to let any go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom

Many thanks for that

Ask a Question