Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, jackrabbit isn't a word that's used here. :) Jugged hare is a way of cooking it. I think the hare is hung for some while before it's cooked, days or weeks possibly. My husband ate it in a restaurant many years ago and having tasted it myself, it's a very strong flavour and not for a delicate stomach. How it's cooked I haven't got a clue. You'll probably find a recipe on the web.
Well, jugged, bottled, fried, BBQ, baked, steamed or fricasseed these guys aren't for a weak stomach either. One would have to be REAL HUNGRY to get one down.

https://www.livescience.com/62742-photos-black-tailed-jackrabbits.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Then your jackrabbit or my hare is definitely off the menu. :LOL:

That was an interesting link, thanks. I didn't realise they were born with fur and eyes open, also totally independent after four days. That's probably due to the fact they are born above ground and need to be aware of predators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Then your jackrabbit or my hare is definitely off the menu. :LOL:

That was an interesting link, thanks. I didn't realise they were born with fur and eyes open, also totally independent after four days. That's probably due to the fact they are born above ground and need to be aware of predators.
I've never understood either. Cottontail rabbits and jackrabbits all live in the same area. I've got both on my land There are more cottontails born though. They are born in small fur lined, grass covered little depressions in the ground and stay there usually about a month. Then the babys leave the nest at night and return in the mornings for about another month. It is this period that is the most dangerous time for them. An interesting bit of info on them that isn't in the books. It appears that during the period of time that they are new born and not leaving the nest, that they are odorless. I have had numerous hunting dogs that would travel right by a nest of babys and not know it. I didn't know it either but then I don't have a dogs nose. But when those babys left at night and me and the dogs were up and about early, well, just say that the dogs had an early breakfast. Many times I have found a nest with the babys inside but have never seen the mother anywhere nearby. Jackrabbits are born the same way only I have never found a jackrabbit nest with the babies still in it. West Texas is absolutely overrun with jacks and always has been. Cattle rancher tell me that 3 jacks eat as much a one cow. I find that a little hard to believe but that is what I have heard many times. Ranchers get together with each other and all their friends and have organized jackrabbit drives where the people are on horseback and jeeps carrying shotguns. They kill hundreds of them, it seems to no avail. They are a very real pest......out west.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
We haven't got cottontail rabbits here. It would seem both those and the jackrabbits are very similar in the way they 'nest' and rear their young, obviously closely related. It's amazing how nature thinks of everything for survival, the young being odourless so not to be detected is something that would never have occurred to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We haven't got cottontail rabbits here. It would seem both those and the jackrabbits are very similar in the way they 'nest' and rear their young, obviously closely related. It's amazing how nature thinks of everything for survival, the young being odourless so not to be detected is something that would never have occurred to me.
Well, it's not in any books but it is the only answer.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
We have no rabbits on the island. The ground is solid rock and they cannot burrow. We do have hares who of course nest. I rarely see them as of course my six cats are a deterrent. I have only ever seen one dead and that was a young one.

When my dog died the two neighbours who kindly dug the grave had to use pick axes.... and no one has been buried out here for nearly 100 years. So yes, very little top soil.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
When my dog died the two neighbours who kindly dug the grave had to use pick axes...
Sorry about your dog, we had ours individual cremations and all on the sideboard.
20200724_182858.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I miss my wee dog but with decreasing mobility it would not be fair to get another One of my older cats died the same weekend as the dog and I was in shock. My family ORDERED me to go and get THREE more cats. I found (donedeal) a young Romanian lady who was having to return home who had been rescuing street cats in Sligo and needed to rehome all her cats. So I took three. And wee dog and cat are becoming part of the place they loved and were happy in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have badgers foxes and squirrels visit the garden,. Lots of garden birds, and frogs in the pond.
Milo loves to chase the squirrels That's him on the left. Thankfully they are too fast for him, and he has met a badger or two and has had a go at chasing them off too. He is very brave for his size!

Ask a Question