Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
This appeared a week ago, I hope it's the only one.

IMG_5580.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you know the old saying about rabbits. I really really doubt that is the only one, but they are really really tasty too.

The rabbit is still here @Chuck. I suspect he's alone and either not too well or old. It's a long time since I've eaten rabbit but wouldn't touch a wild one here. Myxomotosis is still taking it's toll.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The rabbit is still here @Chuck. I suspect he's alone and either not too well or old. It's a long time since I've eaten rabbit but wouldn't touch a wild one here. Myxomotosis is still taking it's toll.
He's probably too tough to eat anyway. I once tried to eat a jack rabbit. Cooked him all day and come supper time it was like chewing on a saddle horn. I guess cottontails are about the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That's just as bad as wringing it's neck. :oops: No, sorry, I couldn't bring myself to commit murder. The pheasant will never know just how lucky it is. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, jackrabbit isn't a word that's used here. :) Jugged hare is a way of cooking it. I think the hare is hung for some while before it's cooked, days or weeks possibly. My husband ate it in a restaurant many years ago and having tasted it myself, it's a very strong flavour and not for a delicate stomach. How it's cooked I haven't got a clue. You'll probably find a recipe on the web.

Ask a Question