Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Don't forget the wasps! They get the caterpillars that escaped the ants
Being you mentioned it, I happen to have a pic of a Thread Waisted Wasp that marched this large Tomato Horn Worm through the grass for about 80m to her den in the dirt. The journey took the wasp approximately an hour. To observe this for an hour I needn't watch continuously because the wasp would occasionally rest by hovering above the worm which made it easy to track. Irronically the wasp took the worm across our property to the area of our garden where tomatoes are
wasp and tomato worm 6-11-06.jpg
usually planted. OH how I wish I'd been born with the ability to be a naturalist.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent video @roadrunner (y)

We've had them come closer since the campsite closed down, but not that close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Finally, I got a video of a pileated woodpecker hunting for and then eating a grub from one of the logs I put around my yard. Also there was a Red-bellied woodpecker that seemed to dive bomb him -- not sure what was up with that. Be sure to turn on your speakers.

You'd be upset if a black bear came into your territory and took your rib eye from your outdoor grill. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Excellent video @roadrunner (y)

We've had them come closer since the campsite closed down, but not that close.
I was a little over 6 meters away, but I had a bunch of vegetation as cover and I was using the top of my mailbox for stabilization; the rest was all in the zoom.;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is unlikely to have a happy ending.

I found a hedgehog stretched out on our small front lawn around 8.00pm last night. It was obviously very poorly. I thought it was dead, but when I gently prodded it, it moved, but didn't have the energy to curl up.
So I took it into the back garden and put it in a corner of the bed next to the shed.

This morning I found it in the middle of the back lawn, as it was last night. So I put it back in the corner. I gave it some water and some dried meal worms but it wasn't that interested. It seemed to be having a few spasms. I've moved it again to this afternoon to this position under a rhodo.

P1040950.JPG

I gave it more water and more meal worms, I watched from a distance, it have a drink and eat a few meal worms. It's now curled up in a ball but I could see it was breathing steadily.
It shows no sign of any injury and looks in otherwise good condition. it may have been poisoned, though I can't see how. I've not left anything out that would do it any harm.
I'm not hopeful that it will still be alive tomorrow.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
This is unlikely to have a happy ending.

I found a hedgehog stretched out on our small front lawn around 8.00pm last night. It was obviously very poorly. I thought it was dead, but when I gently prodded it, it moved, but didn't have the energy to curl up.
So I took it into the back garden and put it in a corner of the bed next to the shed.

This morning I found it in the middle of the back lawn, as it was last night. So I put it back in the corner. I gave it some water and some dried meal worms but it wasn't that interested. It seemed to be having a few spasms. I've moved it again to this afternoon to this position under a rhodo.

View attachment 78346

I gave it more water and more meal worms, I watched from a distance, it have a drink and eat a few meal worms. It's now curled up in a ball but I could see it was breathing steadily.
It shows no sign of any injury and looks in otherwise good condition. it may have been poisoned, though I can't see how. I've not left anything out that would do it any harm.
I'm not hopeful that it will still be alive tomorrow.
Oh dear it could have worms, it's very common for them and the only thing is to take them to a rescue centre.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Checked first thing this morning and there was no sign of the hedgehog. It obviously had drunk more of the water. Had a good lock round and again this afternoon when I came home from golf. Filled up the water and put out some more mealworms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well I Never!

Look who it is!

It's Horace!

It's just by chance I noticed him/her.

P1040967.JPG

He's drinking water from the pot mover.

I put some dried meal worms out for him, which he demolished.

P1040968.JPG

So I topped them up with more and some suet pellets and some fresh water.

It was getting dark and I took these photos through the glass of our French windows.

He's still eating.

There is a good place to hide behind the rockery and the side fence. The fox cubs liked to go behind there, it was impossible to see them as it drops away for nearly two feet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The hedgehog is a regular visitor now around 9.00pm each night, for his catfood, mealworms and suet pellets. He takes his time, spends about half an hour over dinner.
I put his shallow water dish next to his food bowl tonight and he stood in it for quite a while when he was eating.
I may be wrong but as they say, "I don't think he's a full shilling."

Guess what?

I've been "guiltied" into ordering this.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question