Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
The males are very territorial, :cautious: and may or may not allow the female to even build a nest in their territory!!

d16.gif
I think I've seen such among homo sapiens. :cool::D Fortunately, rarely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Do you know what kind of hummingbird they are? :unsure:
I don't know MM, so far the only hummingbirds i have been able to identify are the Cinnamon Hummers so i can tell you they are not that. They have mostly iridescent green coloring with straight bills, and are comparatively small. This fits the identity of approximately 30 species of hummingbirds found in Mexico. Also, my hummingbirds are completely wild and wary of humans because they are not fed by humans via feeders. This makes identifying them doubly difficult. The mom experienced no opposition to building the nest and continues to add home improvements. She chose wisely her location. There are rarely territorial squabbles within the walls of my garden because if i observe them i react. But they are by nature territorial and probably due to size, extra territorial. Once a hummingbird came flying from one side of the garden to another doing about 100 miles an hour and knocked an innocent Monarch butterfly off the flower it was perched on. I was witness to this and just before hitting the Monarch the hummer moved its head to the side so the bill (beak) did not pierce the wing of the butterfly. I found the Monarch on the ground dizzy and no doubt thinking "what was that?" But he survived the attack.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Okay, 2 babies growing and apparently healthy. Not the best photo but you can see the eyes are open, that downy fluff has grown. I only give myself one chance at a photo each time. The next one will hopefully be better. I learned that the babies are fed a mix of bugs and nectar regurgitated and fed to them by the mom.:)
P1020922.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa yes it does look like the nest is too small but they will grow there until they are twice as big and half out of the nest. They are not so crowded as they look because they are mostly fluffy down feathers.:)

Ask a Question