Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal, I'd never seen nor heard of a great spotted woodpecker. We have downeys and red breasted woodpeckers and always enjoy them at the feeders, or climbing up and down the trees.

It's not much different to your Downey's @marlingardener. In fact looking at web images of it I think it's known to us as the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. I've also looked at the Red Breasted, it has quite a startling plumage, not easily mistaken for other birds. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My glass has a slight haze on it @Beverly so not spotless at the moment. I'd not heard of a Wood Duck so I've learnt something new today. :)

Your Hummingbird babies are coming on well, it won't be long before they fly the nest. Hopefully mum will stay around your garden with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
it won't be long before they fly the nest. Hopefully mum will stay around your garden with them.
The mum might stay around but she will probably chase away the little ones to go find their own territory. Still i have hummingbirds in the garden at lease twice every day of the year, morning and twilight time:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I'd not heard of a Wood Duck so I've learnt something new today. :)
I know you have wood ducks in Scotland from a woman at a site previous to joining this one who posted photos of them. We have them in the New World as well, but the coloring is entirely different. The ones you have in UK are white and tan color and the ones in the Americas are multicolored with extraordinary red, green, and a couple of other colors (thought to be the most beautiful of ducks). I was so surprised to see her photos and thought they looked like wood ducks wearing a different outfit, but still wonderfully beautiful. She confirmed that they were indeed Wood Ducks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)The hummingbird babes have left the nest and we have a story with a happy ending starting with post 353 (Sept 18) to today (Oct 24), 36 days from egg to first flight, 2 healthy young'uns. Yesterday i noticed that there was only one chick in the nest but i was not worried because the missing one and had developed flight wings. The other chick remained in the nest and the mom continued to feed and protect. This morning i heard the mom making a lot of noise and when i looked out the window saw her looking around the ground under the nest. So much chatter!:eek: The mom left and i went out to look. I found the fledging standing up between the Senecio and Ixora. Thinking it might have fallen out prematurely, i offered a stick to hop onto. No, she did not want the stick and instead speedily flew to the other end of the garden in a first flight attempt to follow mom. All the time mom is chattering loudly. "over here, over here, where are you!!!" Now the garden is quiet and i returned to the house, silently thanking it for giving me this new experience. I will leave the nest where it is.:)
P1020932.JPG

P1020934.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The population of frogs in my yard is exploding, I just keep seeing more and more. Here's one in the trash can I keep as an animal motel of sorts, usually other lizards take refuge in here, especially as winter weather approaches and I've seen as many a five frogs in here (I use to never see frogs in my yard, only the occasional toad). Same frog, just different lighting.

024.JPG

025.JPG

And this little guy takes up residence in my Yucca bush/tree, he's there everyday. They (the frogs above and below) are nocturnal.

026.JPG
027.JPG
029.JPG
030.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This guy has been visiting my garden for the last 3 months. I never saw him, I only saw his damage and his hoof prints in the morning. I decided to get a trail cam and put it in the woods along a well traveled trail. He has shown up several times. I haven't decided if I am going to put him in the freezer this fall or not.
WGI_0104.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a trail cam, which has photographed a fox, a deer running through our backyard, and an owl studying our chickens. Like you, I've seen deer hoof prints in the vegetable gardens, but no damage to the plants. We have a mini wildlife refuge in our pasture--coyotes stroll through, we have had a pair of fawns near the tree line, and a bobcat and her kits come to the pond to drink. We enjoy the wildlife!

Attachments

• Deer.JPG
    Deer.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Fox.JPG
    Fox.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Owl 1.jpg
    Owl 1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We have a trail cam, which has photographed a fox, a deer running through our backyard, and an owl studying our chickens. Like you, I've seen deer hoof prints in the vegetable gardens, but no damage to the plants. We have a mini wildlife refuge in our pasture--coyotes stroll through, we have had a pair of fawns near the tree line, and a bobcat and her kits come to the pond to drink. We enjoy the wildlife!

Marlin, I have to be careful of the wildlife on my property. We have chickens, turkeys, Guinea Hens, horses and Quail. I keep a close on on the predictors but allow them to coexist as long as they don't intrude on my vittles. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20171108_191134.jpg
I was sitting on my verandah and i could hear my King Parrot singing for his supper but couldn't see him. He's usually on the railing. I looked around the corner for him but he wasn't talking to me, too busy admiring himself or was it the other handsome fella in the window? He actually stayed talking to his reflection for quite some time after I'd put his seed out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, we have to be careful and alert, also. We have hens in a very secure indoor/outdoor coop, but I still worry about coyotes. Since we acquired four cats I worry for their safety also.
The worst predators we have are the feral cats that neighbors actually brought with them when they moved from town. The ferals were supposed "to keep the vermin away."

Ask a Question