Amaryllis is massive

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I inherited this plant from my Mum. I only watered it last year (didn't let leaves die back) and it bloomed lovely! I have it in my bathroom window now.
I noticed it a bit red, but my husband said it has always been like that. The leaves are getting to a ridiculous size! It finished blooming a couple of weeks ago. I've read to put it in a dark spot and let it die down. I'm afraid to let anything happen to it because I overwatered my Mums other favourite plant, and he died.

How do I keep this guy healthy? I was a bit worried the red was fungal. I was going to take him out of pot and into fresh soil, then spray him with neem oil and tie his leaves back. But the last plant I put into new soil... It died. Husband thinks I should just leave him alone!?! Suggestions appreciated!!

Attachments

• 16262510291427139392485082507330.jpg
    16262510291427139392485082507330.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 16262510689493962449962378499250.jpg
    16262510689493962449962378499250.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210520_151510.jpg
    IMG_20210520_151510.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your plant has finished flowering, cut the flower stem off about an inch from the bulb. Then treat the plant the same as you have been doing, with watering and feeding until about the end of August, and this will boost the plant all ready to do it's flowering next time round. In September or thereabouts, put your plant in a cool dry place and let it rest without watering.

In November, bring the plant into the warm and start watering and feeding again, and then you should get some new flowers by Christmas.
Welcome to the forums @ Klowda :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You know, its funny. I live in San Francisco, CA, and have no garden; only a tiny, northern exposed deck. Plus I really don‘t know what I’m doing. My sister gave me an Amaryllis bulb for Christmas several years ago. I planted it in a terra cotta pot, put it on my deck, and just watered and fed it. I didn’t ever put it away for the winter. Not only did the bulb constantly put out double blooms like crazy, but it generated about 6 or more new bulbs which were also doing the same thing. So now I’m attempting (with the help of some experts on this site) to separate the bulbs and plant them in separate pots. My point is, I ignored the plant from the very beginning, not knowing how to take care of it. Put it in a shady spot (because that’s all I have on my deck), and watered it once a week. It thrived from neglect, and was busting out of its original pot. Now I have to just make sure not to kill them as I do the separations. If I don’t kill them, I will have a deck full of red blossoms. By the way, out of all the bulbs my sis gave away (including her own personal plant) mine was the only one that survived. And I was the only one without a garden…

Reaction score
Country
United States
The bulbs of Florist's Amaryllis (Hippeastrum hybrids) can be dried down as is done by commercial growers to ship the bulbs, but there is no need for a the owner of a house plant Amaryllis to do so unless they wish to control flowering time. Most Hippeastrum will naturally bloom in Spring. To have a plant bloom in the middle of Winter, it must be brought into dormancy in Autumn by exposing the bulb to cool, dry conditions. The dormant bulbcan then be revived with room-temperature warmth and irrigation, six to eight weeks before the desired bloom time.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So I've accidentally brought mine to bloom 3 times in the past year!?!
And each time it has a baby.
I was trying to let the long leaves die off so that it would grow shorter fresh ones, but no new leaves have appeared! It looks like it's about to bloom again!?!
I really don't want to tire it out. I was actually trying to give it a break. It stays sitting on bathroom window, I give it a small amount of water now and again. The same amount the two babies get. Long leaf baby is 2 years old, last summers baby just sprouted 3 new leaves! How do I get the mammy plant to do that? Baby no. 3 just sprouted a leaf beside Mam. Will the mam be OK with all this flowering? I'm about to have 2 babies myself!! Feels like the plant is in sync with me!?!
Does it need a feed? How do I get the two gangly old leaves to drop off and new ones to appear?
IMG_20220227_074049.jpg
IMG_20220227_074029.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the plant is healthy, I wouldn't be concerned about repeat bloom. It may have been bred for this trait.Iit would be interesting to know which cultivar you are growing.

If you are not fertilizing, do add that to your care regime. A monthly application does of a complete, liquid fertilizer would be a benefit to the future health and growth of the plant. PLanninf for exactly when it will grow new offsets is difficult but it will likely do so again. sometimes, younger plants will offset faster, so it is good you have repotted the offsets separately.

Make certain the soil and containers drain well. Water them in the sink if you are concerned about water leaking. You can use a saucer, but don't let it remain flooded.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
If the plant is healthy, I wouldn't be concerned about repeat bloom. It may have been bred for this trait.Iit would be interesting to know which cultivar you are growing.

If you are not fertilizing, do add that to your care regime. A monthly application does of a complete, liquid fertilizer would be a benefit to the future health and growth of the plant. PLanninf for exactly when it will grow new offsets is difficult but it will likely do so again. sometimes, younger plants will offset faster, so it is good you have repotted the offsets separately.

Make certain the soil and containers drain well. Water them in the sink if you are concerned about water leaking. You can use a saucer, but don't let it remain flooded.
Hi Marck!

Is there any way to get the big plant to grow new leaves? Or should I be concerned? It has 2 leaves at the moment, but one is barely hanging on. Probably from the break in watering I gave him but it was fairly damp to be fair.

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just continue to give good care. If healthy, the bulb may decide to put on new growth with the coming of Spring.
To summarize, a Hippeastrum wants sun or very bright light, mild temperatures, regular water, good drainage, and occasional fertilization.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Just continue to give good care. If healthy, the bulb may decide to put on new growth with the coming of Spring.
To summarize, a Hippeastrum wants sun or very bright light, mild temperatures, regular water, good drainage and occasional ferilization.
Bathroom window is East facing! It's getting loads of light... That must be it thanks again

Reaction score
Country
United States
You know, its funny. I live in San , CA, and have no garden; only a tiny, northern exposed deck. Plus I really don‘t know what I’m doing. My sister gave me an Amaryllis bulb for Christmas several years ago. I planted it in a terra cotta pot, put it on my deck, and just watered and fed it. I didn’t ever put it away for the winter. Not only did the bulb constantly put out double blooms like crazy, but it generated about 6 or more new bulbs which were also doing the same thing. So now I’m attempting (with tIhe help of some experts on this site) to separate the bulbs and plant them in separate pots. My point is, I ignored the plant from the very beginning, not knowing how to take care of it. Put it in a shady spot (because that’s all I have on my deck), and watered it once a week. It thrived from neglect, and was busting out of its original pot. Now I have to just make sure not to kill them as I do the separations. If I don’t kill them, I will have a deck full of red blossoms. By the way, out of all the bulbs my sis gave away (including her own personal plant) mine was the only one that survived. And I was the only one without a garden…
Update on my crazy amaryllis: I now have 4 pots full of huge leaves, all blooming twice right now. And I even actually have a volunteer in one of the large pots that has a dead ficus sitting in it! I mean it’s an actual VOLUNTEER amaryllis! I don’t have a clue as to why this is happening. As I’ve said before, I am no gardener. This plant has been on my northern exposed wind-tunnel of a deck for years. Maybe I’m, unknowingly, an amaryllis witch…

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update on my crazy amaryllis: I now have 4 pots full of huge leaves, all blooming twice right now. And I even actually have a volunteer in one of the large pots that has a dead ficus sitting in it! I mean it’s an actual VOLUNTEER amaryllis! I don’t have a clue as to why this is happening. As I’ve said before, I am no gardener. This plant has been on my northern exposed wind-tunnel of a deck for years. Maybe I’m, unknowingly, an amaryllis witch…
Oh yeah…my plants have healthy giant seed pods on them…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah…my plants have healthy giant seed pods on them…
My friend Jill came over and proudly told me of the offshoot she had from her bulb. I took her in the greenhouse and showed her the twenty or so seedlings I had grown and which were starting to flower.
"I hate you Olly Buckle" :)

Ask a Question