Amaryllis seed pods

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am very lucky to have bought this amaryllis which has been extraordinarily healthy and has gifted me with 2 and a half giant seed pods.. :D:D

SAM_1822.JPG

Er... what do I do now??

Advice appreciated and thank you in advance...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've never taken notice of the seed pods before. I think I'll leave a few flower stalks to give me some, I always cut the stalk as soon as the blooms start dying.
My guess would be leave the stalk until those pods are dry?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I always do, cutting off dead flowers.. But can you see how happy the seed pods are? I feel so blessed .. They will definitely mature. I will wait and see. Some other - the apple blossom seed pods were so weak and limpy that I just cut them off.. I might even sell them on fleabay .. Haha!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Googled and found this

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/harvest-amaryllis-seeds-46274.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-save-seeds-amaryllis-plants-plant-them-67185.html

Once fully dry, about three to five weeks after pollination, it dies and splits open, exposing the hard black seeds inside. You can cut the seedpod from the amaryllis plant when it is slightly dried and yellow; gently pry open the outer casing, remove the seeds and discard the seedpod.
You can plant amaryllis seeds in the fall after harvesting or save them for planting the following spring. When saving seeds, make sure to keep them in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. To start seeds, use a well-draining, sterile seed-starting mix. It's best to moisten the medium before filling the pots, as once in the seed flat, it can be difficult to get the water to penetrate evenly without disturbing the seeds. Amaryllis seeds should be planted one-fourth to one-half inches deep and kept at 70 degrees Fahrenheit during germination. Keep the seeds moist for successful germination by watering whenever the soil starts to dry out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I think this is of interest for selection. Otherwise, a long time to wait for flowering. My yellow Zephyranthes gave the seeds. I sowed and he went up. I do not know how many years I need to grow it and will they preserve varietal characteristics?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! I know what you mean.. I bought a Davidia Involucrata when it is about 1 year old and that was 3 years ago, and I am still waiting for it to show any buds.. No, no buds again this year..:cry::cry: Same for wisteria .. Another plant bough for £2 and I am still waiting.. I have officially become waity waity! LOL! :eek::eek: The D involucrata might not produce any flowers until it is a teenager.. So longer to wait.. I did fiddle with the pollen and stigma, so I don't really know. I have always loved to use seeds, but lately have a change of heart as the seedlings are often weak and unable to grow to be a proper plant. It would be nice to see a new cultivar ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
For a new variety, you need to connect different amaryllis. I suspect that I am not capable of such a painstaking and responsible work. But I always admire the people who do it.
If we talk about your amaryllis - I would cut off the seeds, but left the flower stalk until it dries up. Here we think that it is useful for a bulb. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will do some more research, but you're so knowledgeable, I reckon you must be right.. You know so much about plants,, Their Latin names put me off.. LOL!

Ask a Question