A really simple way to test your soil ph

Reaction score
I'll try this tip for size, that's for sure. I always just relied on the old trial and error, but I see this can make things easier.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I will definitely embrace this chart. Many people are ignorant of the necessity to test soil pH. Here in Kenya, I have observed that the cost of soil tests are prohibitive to the smallholder. This chart is informative and it is high time extension agents embraced simpler technologies. The few farmers knowledgeable about soil pH apply agricultural lime to ameliorate soil acidity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thank you for that method of testing the soil. But this is my question - what do we do if we find the soil alkaline? I am guessing that an acidic soil is not a good one so does that mean if the soil is alkaline it is good for the plants? Pardone me but I easily get lost when talks become technical like dieting with calories, I really don't know how to count calories. Now with the alkalinity and acidity of the soil, kindly enlighten me. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
so clever, I always used pH paper to test anything but this is simply brilliant.

@Corzhens
Soil acidity is important because some plants need acidic soil (like cranberries or droseras for instance which grow in acidic swamps (bogs ?)) and some like the hydrangea will have different flower colors depending on the soil pH (blue when the soil is acidic and pink when it's basic).

Also you can make your soil more acid by adding peat moss (for special plants) or less acid by adding slaked lime to your soil or in some place where you want to grow something with special needs. pH is better neutral (around 7) so you are in the middle and it will please almost all plants.

It's just an information you use to know it better like if your soil contains clay or sand, ...

It's also important because plants can't absorb all the nutrients they need in the soil when the pH is not adequate for them (especially when too acidic):
mineral-absorption-to-ph-value-chart.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I never knew gardening can be complicated or maybe I'm just not used to this as I am just a newbie. I usually just toss the seeds in my seed tray or pot and water it :D Thanks for sharing! I should really watch the the pH in my soil. But, how can you measure it? :confused: @Nazmi mentioned around 7 is neutral, I think I'd like to keep my soil's pH that way but I have no idea how to measure, sorry :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
I'm a newbie in gardening too :D, but if you want to measure it, you can use the method shown by happyflowerlady or you can use pH paper with your soil diluted in water (even maybe a pH meter), but if you bought/you have an ordinary soil, it has to be neutral don't bother, it's just data nothing more :).

I think you can get pH paper (if you really wish to do "fine" testing) in a pharmacy, a school, a laboratory for free or cheap or on Ebay (0.75$ for a lot of strips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-pH-Test-...864093?hash=item419235a79d:g:Fm8AAOSwxYxUxyxS )

But, for instance for the ones who grow in aquaponics/aeroponics, this is important as their plants might die if it's not appropriate, also I think the people who grow cannabis to harvest something to smoke also have interest in that because of productivity and taste of the product if I'm right. They also read other values like conductivity of their water and stuff like that, very advanced what they do:
aeroponics_thumb3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is a great tip and I cannot wait to get my hands dirty trying it. Plus the materials required are very inexpensive.

Jars I can just save rather than throw them out. Vinegar is next to nothing a gallon. Baking soda is dirt cheap by the pound.

Caution: The baking aisle has Baking Soda and Baking Powder and it is easy to confuse the two. Baking Powder will not react unless it is to do the opposite of Baking Soda, so get the right one.

Ask a Question