Does no dig gardening really work?

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by mich, Apr 12, 2018.

1. mich

mich

I'm just learning about this 'no dig' gardening thing where you just compost and mulch on top of grass to start out a new bed. The guy in the video suggests using cardboard or carpet (cringe) over top of the new garden for several months to kill off the grass. I'm wondering how effective this is to actually kill off the grass? I keep imagining my new garden full of rogue grasses in between my veggies. Have you tried this no dig method? How has it worked out for you?

[​IMG]

mich, Apr 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. mich

Chuck

The no dig no till method will work if there is zero grass. And the only way I know of to kill grass, weeds and their seeds is to solarize. Cardboard will not work nor will carpet as neither will kill the seeds which can live for years in soil. You can put a shovel of good compost onto a spot of soil, come back in 3 months and the soil is very workable. Now is the time to solarize. Start now and by next spring all of the grass, weeds and seeds will be gone. The secret to solarizing is to get the soil wet before laying down the plastic.

Chuck, Apr 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. mich

roadrunner

Yes it does work and as chuck says, you don't want grass, but luckily grass generally needs a lot of sun, so I don't have much problem keeping it out of the mulchy areas.

Although, It does take a while for the soil to build up naturally, the heavier the mulch the quicker it happens. I've been using this method for a few years and my soil improves every year.

roadrunner, Apr 12, 2018
    DirtMechanic and alp like this.
  4. mich

DirtMechanic

You can speed the process along if you feed proteins and molasses. Bacterial blooms lead to fungal blooms. Once the fungal hyphae start growing deep, and I mean well through the tilling pan, the soil will moisten and soften. I can hand deliver a 2 meter rod into my garden soil.

DirtMechanic, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question