Is pruning really important?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have always grown plants from seed, never from seedling or sapling. But if I try to grow a fruit tree of any kind, is pruning every year really important? I mean I prefer natural growth. I would prefer this:

PUB0000698_548793.jpg

over this:
img_1.jpg

as far as growth of a tree is concerned.

That is how come I have never cut the branches of my maples. And wouldn't more branches with more leaves mean more glucose produced for the fruit and thus sweeter fruit because more photosynthesis is happening? Plus I remember what happened last time my maple got injured(second attempt that successfully grew for 3 years). It died, the entire tree died from wounds and I had to uproot the tree before trying to grow new trees. Pruning would wound the tree. Controlled, yes, but still wounded. The maple that got wounded, got its wounds in Winter. Pruning would also ideally be in winter, wouldn't it? I am just afraid that if I prune a tree, I will cause it to die because I remember my most successful maple dying from wounds it got in Winter.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No problem with not pruning apart from some trees such as apples can revert to a biennial fruiting pattern so you might not get a crop every year :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've seen with my own eyes that a heavily pruned tree can produce a lot of fruit the following year after it's had a season to regrow. I've also seen that same tree produce very little fruit after years of not being pruned. With that being said, I've also seen trees produce a decent amount year after year with no pruning ever done to them.
Overall, I believe pruning is done to help better the odds for a healthy tree and a good crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
In addition to the other's suggestions as to importance... Pruning is essential as inward growing, irregular and dead branches and twigs should be removed. It is also important for good air circulation and if there is a desired form.

With your picture examples you are looking at dormant - deciduous examples, with the bottom examples immediate post pruning. If they were flush with new growth or full of new growth including branches, twigs and leaves they would look very much different. The top tree would be a jumble and the bottom biggest would look quite nice.

It's ok to go for whatever form you wish,. but typically a pruned tree is a healthier tree.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Another advantage of pruning is that it allows sunlight to reach into the tree. When leaves appear in the spring they can reduce the sunlight to the lower parts of the tree to almost nothing. A properly trimmed tree will receive sunlight on all its branches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In addition to the other's suggestions as to importance... Pruning is essential as inward growing, irregular and dead branches and twigs should be removed. It is also important for good air circulation and if there is a desired form.

With your picture examples you are looking at dormant - deciduous examples, with the bottom examples immediate post pruning. If they were flush with new growth or full of new growth including branches, twigs and leaves they would look very much different. The top tree would be a jumble and the bottom biggest would look quite nice.

It's ok to go for whatever form you wish,. but typically a pruned tree is a healthier tree.
Yup.
Poor air circulation is an invitation to fungal disease

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When should trees be pruned? We’ve got an old pear that needs it badly. No clue what kind of pear it is, the fruit stays rock hard till it rots, but the wildlife and bugs get it, so I’m ok with it staying for now.

Ask a Question