Pruning young Eucalyptus Gunnii

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I took delivery of some young Eucalyptus Gunnii plants this week. I would say they are less than a year old and whilst they are about 18 inch tall, they are very leggy and top heavy. I want to grow these new plants in containers as shrubs and know that I can prune hard/coppice to encourage stockier growth - I do this each year with an existing, established potted EG shrub that I have.

I'm assuming this is the new plants' first spring so are they too young for me to do this now?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

I have no experience with Eucalyptus I'm afraid, but hopefully someone here will be able to help (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking this up today actually and the first result that came up was not to prune it until its 6 foot tall because is such a vigorous grower and will actually grow lower branches without needing pruned, I'm not entirely sure though hopefully someone else can elaborate but I know I won't be pruning mine until probably next year when it's alot taller

Ask a Question