Pruning Jasmine

Zoe

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have 3 jasmine plants in largish pots. I am wanting to replant them in the ground at my new house. They have been in pots for a long time, so their roots will be very compacted. I also want to prune them right back so they can grow much larger and bushier. Will they cope if I replant them and give them a drastic pruning at the same time, or should I stagger the process? Ie prune them now and wait a bit to replant them, or the other way around?
Thank you in advance! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome Zoe. There are several types of Jasmine so it would help to know what type. Also which zone are you in. That will also make a difference. Here in North Carolina the Jasmine is almost a weed and you can't hurt it. In Florida my night blooming Jasmine was delicate regarding frost and moisture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
If you tranplant without breaking the compact root then plant wont feel any differrnce , u can prune jasmine randomly in its growing season , avoid when its dorment but in any case it will growback . if its the variety with smaller leaves , its hardy as hedge , few varieties are sensitive , one indian large leafed .

Ask a Question