A really simple way to test your soil ph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I just found this handy little chart online, and wanted to share it with everyone here. We all know that it is important that plants are in the right type of soil, some like acidic, and some want alkaline, but how to tell ?
Here is a really simple little test that we all can do to determine what our soil ph is, and it also suggest remedies to correct the ph if necessary.
image.jpg

Reaction score
This is a great tip. I will try this one. I cannot think of having each container tested for soil alkalinity or acidity. This will give you a fair indication I guess. Thanks for sharing this tip with us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this, I'll definitely try it out! I've always been wondering if the soil ph in my garden is good for roses. I must know if my dear plants have all they need:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saw this on pinterest. I have yet to try it; I guess it's because I haven't had any major problems with my plants, which are all in containers. It would probably be good to know, though, especially as I expand my growing, but these tests are not quantitative.

Reaction score
Thanks for this information. Maybe this is why I can't grow plants indoors? Maybe the soil ph is not what the plant requires. I'll give this a try to see if there's a conflict.

This is certainly better than having to buy a kit!

Reaction score
You know, I thought the same thing one day so I put the potted plant out on the porch (normally it's sits on a small bench in the front window). Well, a few hours later, two of the four leaves were starting to turn yellow! Sigh, I just brought the thing back in and set it back on the bench and gave it a little bit of water.

The bottom line is that I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm learning!

Reaction score
I am going to have to try this today. It will be a fun experiment with the kids! I think our soil is pretty good as we have not had much of a problem here (except weather, insects or me just messing up) but you never know. NJ has pretty good soil for gardening so I am hoping for good test results :)

Reaction score
Ok my youngest daughter and I just did this little fun "science experiment" testing the soil. Looks like we are in good shape as we didn't have much reaction with either the vinegar or the baking soda and water combo.

Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of a method like that! I've thought of buying a pH tester but that seems like such a waste of money, if this works.
Now that I think of it, I'll have to employ the little ones to do it for me like dconklin did... Educational and fun!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use the oven method to make sure my soil is clean if it has been outside, that kills any bugs that maybe in the soil. After I have baked the soil for awhile and it has cool off I put some nutrients back into the soil either purchase something like Miracle Grow or Fish Emulsion.

Reaction score
I love experiments, even though my soil seems to grow everything I put in. Imagine if I knew about the soil as you suggest and plant the right thing! I am sure the garden would over take the house!

I will be curious to see where my soil comes in anyway. I have heard random people tell me I have one or the other, so here's to finding out! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't usually bother too much with the garden as we hire people to take care of that. I'm much more interested in the health of my bonsai and pre-bonsai trees and I'm not sure whether I can spare a handful of soil out of most of my pots, so I'd have to try reducing the quantities. It's probably worth a try though, when I've got the time.

I've pinned the chart for future reference. Thanks.

Reaction score
I use the oven method to make sure my soil is clean if it has been outside, that kills any bugs that maybe in the soil. After I have baked the soil for awhile and it has cool off I put some nutrients back into the soil either purchase something like Miracle Grow or Fish Emulsion.

This is the first time I have heard someone putting soil in their oven. Please tell me the purpose of doing this. Are you testing for something?

Ask a Question