Wanting to plant garlic for the first time, not really sure how to start

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello all. I've grown a few things before, gardening wise - peppers, totatoes, potatoes. One thing I've always wanted to grow is garlic, but I always miss the window. Not this year! I added the date to my calendar for when to order some, and another for when to plant. I'm just about at the step where I order some online. I have an idea of what varieties I want for where I live.

The one thing I'm not clear on is how to go about this, exactly, in terms of garden design.

If I pick a little section of my yard for it, do I just plant it? What do I do about the grass that is already there - cut out a chunk of sod, just plant under it...?

The next confusing step is what do I do when it starts coming up in the spring. Won't there be grass and weeds and stuff in the way? How to I prepare a plot, I guess is what I'm asking.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That's pretty much exactly what I need.

Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just make sure you soil is very fertile and you get the correct types of garlics for your climate. BTW it would be a big help to know where you are located so please update your profile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm so excited for you! Garlic is so easy to grow and after you've grown your own, you'll never want store bought garlic again.

Ask a Question