Secret to having really green grass?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in a rental house and for once, we have our own yard. We do tons of upkeep too. We mow every week, water every other day and dig weeds out. My grass is almost NEVER really green. It always looks greenish-brown. Why does this happen? Is there any way to get my grass vibrant green?

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I spent some good time looking up for the answer to this question and I finally found it after struggling a lot, the real deal is that you have to keep it low, cut it as soon as you see it's growing way too tall, you also have to know when to water the whole grass field, I would highly recommend you to do it in the morning and also in the night for around 30 -40 minutes, twice a day, I am pretty sure that your lawn is going to be really green after some time, there's no magic trick to this, just patience and dedication.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our backyard is actually a small lawn in the center since the plants are on the side. We have crab grass that are good to look at and we let it grow some 3 inches high only. After cutting, it will grow back to be a healthy green maybe it is because of the sufficient irrigation we give the grass. And another thing is we avoid stepping on the grass when wet because it stepping on the wet grass kills it. So if you've got plenty of sunlight then the grass will surely grow if given enough water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live and what is your soil like? Find your USDA growing zone here:
http://www.planthardiness.ars.usda.gov

Could need aerating and/or fertilizing. Or perhaps you are watering incorrectly. Really need to know your general location to give a helpful answer!

Also photos help a lot. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not knowing your growing zone, I don't have much advice, but here is one thing that can help, if you live in zones 4-8. This spring, just before the last frost date for your zone, lightly scatter some Dutch white clover seed through the lawn. The ground will heave slightly when it frosts, and that will get the seed down to the soil.

Clover fixes nitrogen in the soil, which the grass then feeds on. That way your lawn fertilizes your lawn! (y)

fig2-innoculating.jpg

Here is a picture of Dutch white clover roots. See all the little nodules? That is the nitrogen that your grass will feed on. It has the added benefit that the taproots help to aerate the soil, and it is fairly drought resistant. So even if you go a little too long without rain, your grass will look greener longer without having to water. (y)

Plus, IMO, the little white flowers are pretty, scattered here and there throughout the yard. And it helps to feed the bees! Benefits all the way around. :)

Edited to add: It is considered a weed. If you are going to use a weed killer on the grass, don't waste your money on the clover.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also with clover you don't have to use any chemicals and your lawn becomes safe for pet and children to play on, my back yard is about 75% clover and I water it once a month or when it rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
Also with clover you don't have to use any chemicals and your lawn becomes safe for pet and children to play on, my back yard is about 75% clover and I water it once a month or when it rains.

I considered the idea of using clover, but I did not really know if it was going to work since I currently live in a hot land, however, I would have to try it and see how it works, thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spent some good time looking up for the answer to this question and I finally found it after struggling a lot, the real deal is that you have to keep it low, cut it as soon as you see it's growing way too tall, you also have to know when to water the whole grass field, I would highly recommend you to do it in the morning and also in the night for around 30 -40 minutes, twice a day, I am pretty sure that your lawn is going to be really green after some time, there's no magic trick to this, just patience and dedication.[/QU

I dug my own well using an extended post boring tool. I now use a large water pump and a 1.5 inch fire hose to water the lawn everyday - I can do this fast so its not a chore. The grass grows so well that weeds don't have a chance but I spend a lot of time cutting the grass. Never a need for fertilizer but must be careful not to leave footprints after watering.
As for moss and clover ... just keep the grass growing really well and they will not appear. So the answer is water and lots of it .... when I finish there is standing water on the grass. As for when I water during the day - it is when I feel like doing so - morning or evening - Sunny or dull it's all the same. Oh and I have to be careful not to wash out turfs of grass so I use spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
I dug my own well using an extended post boring tool. I now use a large water pump and a 1.5 inch fire hose to water the lawn everyday - I can do this fast so its not a chore. The grass grows so well that weeds don't have a chance but I spend a lot of time cutting the grass. Never a need for fertilizer but must be careful not to leave footprints after watering.
As for moss and clover ... just keep the grass growing really well and they will not appear. So the answer is water and lots of it .... when I finish there is standing water on the grass. As for when I water during the day - it is when I feel like doing so - morning or evening - Sunny or dull it's all the same. Oh and I have to be careful not to wash out turfs of grass so I use spray.

That's true my friend, there are many people out there who do not really believe the fact that water is the one that makes the magic when it comes to making the lawn greener, you only have to learn when and how to water it and everything will be as desired, good luck though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I considered the idea of using clover, but I did not really know if it was going to work since I currently live in a hot land, however, I would have to try it and see how it works, thank you for sharing.
If you want a nice lawn then don't plant clover. Clover is like a weed and that is why it is listed as one of the many weeds that can be killed on the side of weed killing products. Yes it will put nitrogen into the soil but at the cost of taking over the lawn. Once it starts it is very invasive.

Ask a Question