5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all a very cold night and now it’s snowing quite heavy and laying ,hibernating weather I think.
Yes, very chilly out there! Went out to see my flower and it turned out to be something else

All the times, I thought it was an erythronium. Hopeless and useless I am. I was lazy and put some sand round it to prevent the SS damage. Guess what?! They went for the underside! Grrrrrrrrrr! Sunny but very chilly, no frost though. Had a bit of rain. Thank heavens and so I mean it.

Some doubles. Seems to me my washbabies have all perished. Hopeless and useless I am!

The camera refused to capture! Another hole in the pocket!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh, I love chipmunks. Here, we can never see them in the wild. Would love to keep a guinea pig or chipmunk after I have moved. I so want to have a house with a view. But all the bungalows are low down and can be gawped at.

So nice to be so near wildlife, but please don't come to my garden if they are in removal business! LOL! I have had great difficulty keeping track of my snowdrops. You sure can try snowdrops and hellebores in a warmer spot, and we can compare notes! Wouldn't that be nice!
I love Chipmunks too, but they are fearless and can be very destructive!
I will look for hellebore in the Spring when the Nurseries open! ...then we can compare notes! :)

Have a good day everyone!

Reactions: alp
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How Professor You and Dr G (Youtube and Google) can help you!

How a Facebook post drove a banker to launch a multimillion-dollar vertical farming business

View attachment 48492

I am not sure I like soil-less culture, but the vegs do look very healthy here! There is an intimate relationship between soil and plants which I wouldn't like to destroy. Wonder if the vegs taste the same or have the same amount of nutrients.

Wonder why Sustenir Kale or seeds should be promoted! Sounds like a bit of cartel, like GM seeds!

Food for thought
That kind of reminds me of a growing facility here in Atlantic Beach, they use aeroponic technology here's a website

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea, Gemma! I am sure you would love them as they need very little attention. Low maintenance is the word. Couldn't find my camera and so can't upload some photos. Hope someone can invent a gadget called DING A DING i.e press a bell and its partner bell attached to a "misplaced" camera/key/credit card will sound and reveal its location. I will order 5 of those.

Today has been bitterly cold. Wonder how Johnny canoe copes in such terrible cold weather.

@roadrunner This kind of farming is so highly calibrated and controlled and I wonder if plants might be wiped out by just one single pest or disease. Such intensive farming can be very dodgy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Crumbs! The tumble dryer might be dead after this round. An almighty heavy rug is being tumble dried. Don't think it will tumble any more.

Just took the rug out. Should have waited till summer or a windy day. Never again.

Everything is covered with dust.

Nothing new in the garden

Angel with an even darker outer

New green/pink fully freckled

2 Ellen double green

My washbabies are nowhere to be found

Attachments

• SAM_0475.JPG
    SAM_0475.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 146
  • SAM_0476.JPG
    SAM_0476.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 112
  • SAM_0480.JPG
    SAM_0480.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 132

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Really is cold. Last night, I wrapped some plastic sheets round my salvias. It's going to be a whole week of cold weather. Feeling how cold it was yesterday, I wish I could bring them indoors. Chill to the bones! Must be snowing very heavily in NE!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
10 spectacular snowdrop walks to enjoy this winter

South West: Snowdrop Valley, Exmoor

Sadly, none in the south east. I'd love to start one mini-walk for snowdrops! Would love to live next to this stream and all these little pure and pristine fairies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all another bitter cold night the snow what’s left as turned solid and very icy ,the pond is frozen but clear and bright.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So glad that I took some photos yesterday. Today, a layer of hard frost on the lawn and the hellebores look like they have been stewed in a broth! The only things that are very happy are SNOWdrops! Was trying to pick up the ashes from the fire only to find it was solidified.

Talking about the frustration about slugs, friend said that nematodes work for a few years, not just one summer. Then he mentioned hedgehogs which he would put in his pocket and take home to annihilate SS, copper bands. I mentioned woodashes (freshly harvested). Also, he mentioned beer which one might be able to get for free from pubs (beer for slobs?? slo??? Someone enlightens me please!) Then he said that I could use a pair of scissors to dissect the slugs and the following day, their hungry compatriots would come along and join in the feast! Ahhhhhhh! Gruuuuuuuuuuesome! Slugibalism at its vilest! But I might just try it!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all another bitter cold night the snow what’s left as turned solid and very icy ,the pond is frozen but clear and bright.

We are bright too, but very cold. Wish I hadn't chucked my cheap and nasty dust sheets. They could have been used to cover more area. I'm having jitters about my Salvia Patens or Guanajuato?? Must go out and hunt for them. I love that blue - so different.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
And after that, Gemma, there would be bluebell walks!

And you could invest in these as they naturalise readily. Make sure it is English Bluebells and not Spanish bluebell which is like this

But I really like the pink Spanish ones

I was trying to be good to the English Bluebell and pulled up my Spenish BLUEbell as well as the pink ones. Now, I really miss them. The pinks are so gorgeous.

Another magic carpet is cyclamen

I wonder if my new plant is this

Anybody knows its name?! The other half of my new flower is in a slug's tummy! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Very grey day. Glad that there has been a bit of rain. Not a lot, but some to re-fill the butts. No frost here! I feel so sorry for the plants when it was freezing. Even the wood ashes were frozen yesterday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi alp, sorry for the delayed response, Snowdrops do well here, I just don't have room for more bulbs right now.
Finally met my new neighbours, they bought the house next door 6 months ago. The house has been vacant all this time, and that led me to believe that a developer had bought it. Well it's a younger couple who will be tearing the house down but building a one story bungalow for themselves and a new garage with apt. on top for their father. Good that I won't have another two story duplex to live beside. Another good thing is that they were very attracted to my backyard last year when they were looking to buy. So they would like to hire me to do up their backyard once the house and garage are built.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi alp, sorry for the delayed response, Snowdrops do well here, I just don't have room for more bulbs right now.
Finally met my new neighbours, they bought the house next door 6 months ago. The house has been vacant all this time, and that led me to believe that a developer had bought it. Well it's a younger couple who will be tearing the house down but building a one story bungalow for themselves and a new garage with apt. on top for their father. Good that I won't have another two story duplex to live beside. Another good thing is that they were very attracted to my backyard last year when they were looking to buy. So they would like to hire me to do up their backyard once the house and garage are built.

Just come back from viewing 2 houses. You're very lucky to have already known the people next door, John, and they seem promising. I hope it's good for your business as well. ;):D (this emoji seems to be suffering from too much botox!)

building a one story bungalow for themselves and a new garage with apt. on top for their father. This makes me giggle. Sounds like ... :eek:;)

Very disappointed with the viewings - the photos show a big fore-court, turning out to be a 3 foot wide strip. The living room is lovely 18 foot by 15 and very bright. Shame the garden is also small. I wish they would put down how long and wide the garden is. It's so far out as well. But it is a lovely house.

The other one is bang right in a built up area. Yet, because it is in Brentwood, people came into the view like crazy. About 4 families were in the house in the first 20 minutes! The estate agent told me that there were 238 people asking for first notice for house in the same price range as my budget! And it only takes a week and a half to shift a house! Whoa! But it's such a lovely wooded area. Woods and fields generously filled the area. The area almost seems a bit snobbish! Then went to one independent nursery and there was nobody there except one car. People obviously are holding tight to their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question