5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

LOL! Ooops! That's so funny!

How come I never thought of that! LOL!

Watching Belle about the abolition of slaves. When the coloured heiress hit her chest and scratched her face, my eyes welled up. A lovely film.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

We had some saga yesterday. The phone line and internet were down yesterday. Repaired by Open Reach.

Then the plasterer who was supposed to come tomorrow now said he had sprained his ankle and wouldn't be fit for next week. People are just so unreliable. He quoted the price and he said I needed to tell him when electrics were finished. Now I am left dangling in midair!

Sent out 4 invites to come and give me a quote and so far only one responded. :mad:

Tidying up the central patch and it was very satisfying after weeding the whole area. However, the dryness shocked me. I'm emptying another two butts. Please send me some rain!

Need to take out all the new butts (3 of them) and I bet they leak!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a black hellebore single and a black double and this year, er hm, nothing to show for them! :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Watching Belle about the abolition of slaves. When the coloured heiress hit her chest and scratched her face, my eyes welled up. A lovely film.

Hello!

Years ago my mom used to watch a soap opera about the life of a slave...how sad that was, how can human being be that cruel!

Not too cold here this morning 28 *F, but the roads are a sheet of ice, school are canceled and everything else is expected to move super slow.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It really was an uplifting film. This coloured girl grew up with a white cousin who was penniless whilst she was going to be a rich heiress. It took bravery and integrity to be able to stand up to say that the ship owner of Zong deliberately deprived the chained slaves of water even they could be given it in 8 ports. They were treated so as they would be worth more if they were dead than ill. The girl's uncle refused to insurance to the ship owner. So much better than film filled with sex and violence.

Which state are you in, Gemma? We are supposed to have frost so tonight, I'm going to spread fleeces or sheets over my salvias. Do you have hellebores, Gemma? They really are worth having. I am sitting here revising my Access (Microsoft office) and after that will try a bit of mailmerge in word as I will have an interview on 22nd. Just a laugh. But it's a morale boost when I am shortlisted. They don't know my ethnic origin yet! I'm still very chuffed at the prospect. I will go in for a laugh. I'm always like that! Happy go lucky. If I don't get it, so what? The plasterer had left me drowned and a very nice man came along and quoted £940 whilst another one quoted £2500 for the same job and he was very rude and abrupt! Good heavens, thank heavens that I have 2 quotes. For this electrician, only one person bothered to turn up to give a quote. I think my son should go for a plasterer course and an electrician course and we can go in renovation business. Life is so hard when you don't have a clue, no contacts AND no money!

We might have the beast from the east again, on top of the Brexit shambles. Just who are these world leaders (one shuts down the government) and another one reducing us to a colony! Any way. No more. PERIOD!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Nice to see your flowers blooming away in the middle of January alp.

Like you I got my butt for free. I have a huge square butt that mom bought me for a birthday present. lol

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
John: I think we have all got one butt for free! LOL! So hilarious.

I like yours as yours is huge whilst I have got 8 or 9 and half leaking somewhere! 4 free ones. Nice to have practical and useful presents. Ex bought me tons of candles for heating the sunlounge, but the condensation has been terrible and I had to move my plants somewhere else.

Electricians have just left and from now on, I need to fast as the plasterer who quoted me £500 said he had sprained his ankle and I had to pay £400 more .. A big hole in the budget.

Shame you can't grow hellebores and I wonder if you can grow snowdrops.

A double hellebores with lovely dash

Lady Beatrice Stanley or Flore Pleno - hopeless I am!

Double pink

My favorite today!

Wendy's Gold

Attachments

• SAM_0427.JPG
    SAM_0427.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 128
  • SAM_0439.JPG
    SAM_0439.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 130
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in North-East Michigan! It gets cold but I wouldn't want to live in any other States. I love it here!
By the time Spring comes I am sooo ready to get in the garden...Summer time it can get really hot, planting is done by then other than watering and occasional pruning I can relax and spend more time by the ponds. Fall is absolutely beautiful here in MI, the colors are breathtaking! In the Fall there is much to be done in the garden to prepare the plants for winterizing and clean out the beds so that they're ready for the next growing season...by then the Holiday Season start (October-January) and I can finally sit back, relax and enjoy having at time absolutely nothing to do!
I spend the winter fantasizing and researching for new outdoor projects, new plants or new arrangements, growing more anxious with each passing day....if I live in a place where it was always warm I doubt I would be just as excited to see Spring

I have 3 sons age 22-16, my husband and I keep trying to encourage them to learn a skill, ANY handyman's skill, but unless it's electronic no one will listen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you have hellebores, Gemma?
I doubt it cause I've never even heard of Hellebore until I read on this forum. Nothing blooms here until end of March/April other than an occasional pansy

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cooking dinner now and failed to do an SQL query and I was nearly plunged into a deep slumber until the alerts kept buzzing me, waking me up.

Michigan must be lovely, festooning the lakes - I get very excited to see any stretch of water, be it a brook, a river or lake! Remember going to Norfolk for holiday. Really lovely to see soooo much water. Reckon it can get very cold. If your sons are good at electronics, you're very lucky. I was told that Ottawa - a bit further to yours, was stunning in fall as well. Have never been to Canada or indeed anywhere except Germany, France, China, Taiwan and the Philippines. Shame as I live so near the continent, but having really been there. I need to have the house sorted out first before I can sow or plant anything. It's a nightmare. Plasterer can only start next Tuesday, which will herald another battle with the dust. I was almightily embarrassed by the noise caused by all the drillings. I'm praying that I can live on my own plot of land and will have no need to disturb any old souls already being plagued by pains and aches. Do you have daffodils or tulips, Gemma?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes! I have several different kinds of Daffodils from miniature to giant, They are the true sign of Spring in my garden. I love them!
I have one kind of tulip! I didn't even know it was a tulip cause it looks more like a Lily...every Spring I have the surprise to see where the Chipmunk have relocated it, seems to be the only bulb they dig up and replant somewhere else.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I love chipmunks. Here, we can never see them in the wild. Would love to keep a guinea pig or chipmunk after I have moved. I so want to have a house with a view. But all the bungalows are low down and can be gawped at.

So nice to be so near wildlife, but please don't come to my garden if they are in removal business! LOL! I have had great difficulty keeping track of my snowdrops. You sure can try snowdrops and hellebores in a warmer spot, and we can compare notes! Wouldn't that be nice!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be cold tonight

Had a bit of showers yesterday and everything has been very dry. Can't wait for my erythronium flower to open.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How Professor You and Dr G (Youtube and Google) can help you!

How a Facebook post drove a banker to launch a multimillion-dollar vertical farming business

I am not sure I like soil-less culture, but the vegs do look very healthy here! There is an intimate relationship between soil and plants which I wouldn't like to destroy. Wonder if the vegs taste the same or have the same amount of nutrients.

Wonder why Sustenir Kale or seeds should be promoted! Sounds like a bit of cartel, like GM seeds!

Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question