5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The lawn is being covered with a blue layer of HARD FROST!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very bright though. Got a letter from Tesco bank. No interest as only one DD went through. Steep and greedy. Usually we get £7. But no!

Waiting for the roasted dinner to finish cooking and the cooking certainly has warmed up the house a bit. Must make a point to catch Wilko reduction time as everything is so expensive. Last time we went to the big store, no bulbs or tubers yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Gemma - what are the plants you want to buy comes spring please?
While we're under heavy constructions of the courtyard I don't have time to try out new plants, so I stick with those I know don't need much looking after, like Canna Lily.
I placed an order for 5 Cannas I wanted last Spring, but were all sold out.
When I'll have more time to follow new plants, I would like to try a few dwarf potted fruit trees, you know, the kind you bring indoor in the winter....I think it'd be cool to have fresh lemons or oranges, figs..I'm not sure how many different kinds I could grow here in MI, but I do know those I mentioned are possible.

I will also like to plant a dedicated hummingbirds and butterfly garden!

Seems crazy thinking of flowers today with a wind chill of - 24*F

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, after my bitter experience of sawing off a deformed pear tree, I now am mainly interested in Dwarf patio trees - one nectarine, one peach and some bare root apples, pears for which I paid £3 each. Very happy. Now I have about 8 fruit trees and I will put them in pots to restrict growth. -24F is serious and we talk and sound scared just for a bit of frost and snowflakes.

Just had our lovely roasted chicken and pork. Lovely bird and very moist too! Son just removed all the skin from both ... Haha! Very gruesome and unsocial! But so delicious and enjoyable!

You could have salvias for the hummingbirds. I have never seen a real hummingbird. In fact, not even a kingfisher! I so wish to see one and I would go ahhhhh ohhhhh!

I have now quite a few cannas but the ones raised from seeds had very small red flowers. They are never reduced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do have Salvia, both audible and ornamental! I also have Columbine, Lobelias and many others, but the're scattered around the yard. I would like an area of the garden filled with hummers and butterfly plants....No need to attract bees, I have a tone of different kinds of those!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
lol I meant eatable,not audible

• Haha
Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
And I thought some salvias made noises. LOL!! Auto-correct can be so officious.

Nothing new from me

Attachments

• SAM_0511.JPG
    SAM_0511.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 135
  • SAM_0514.JPG
    SAM_0514.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 154
  • SAM_0518.JPG
    SAM_0518.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 125
  • SAM_0519.JPG
    SAM_0519.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 133

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all

So dark that I can even see the frost. The boiler is working very hard, sounding like the cogs are at full swing. Today, plasterers will be in and I have this distraction of going to an interview for an administrator job with a national company. I won't get it, but have to go to have a cry or a laugh. I really dislike the distraction and I have to pay my friend to house-sit. Very tiresome.

Watched the Duchess on BBC iplayer. Used to think she was a very bad girl, turned on to be a sad story in which she was loved by all except her miserable husband who wanted a son. Sounds familiar!

Couldn't abide by the long drawn-out film involving seduction, so fast forwarded to get the gist!

Propagator is already on 15c and I hope I kill the bugs today before they feast on my lovely soft plant tissues.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Interview over. The man told me 4 invitees didn't turn up for the interview and they had only interviewed 3 (including me) so far. So thrilled that a major national company short-listed me. I don't care if I get it or not. Hopefully 1 more day of plastering, house viewing will be on track. It's freezing cold here as the plasterers turned off the heating. I nearly can't type.

The stray who loves my border (nice and warm)

Here it is, next to my box of box cuttings and blueberry!

This cat is most suspicious and only meows me when it wants food. I gave it some three times. No food, no sign of affection, so no more from me even though I have some left!

Snow Fox, the slug has opened the petal for me!

For once I didn't have to upskirt.

That's all for today, folks!

Attachments

• SAM_0439.JPG
    SAM_0439.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 120
  • SAM_0444.JPG
    SAM_0444.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your canna should be fine Johnny, they grow new rhizomes every year so might be an idea to remove the old bits and repot. I've come across before on Hart's Canna website that they flower after the seventh leaf.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
None of my Cannas bloomed for me last summer. I've decided they are just old and tired out. Buying new ones in April is the plan for now.

I bought a variegated one and alas, it didn't stir, breathe, .. No sign of life or death. I won't buy that again. I had delivered: one hellebore with full patches on white single petals. Another double one with darker red edges but whiter inside. A Thalictrum Delaya Double, a Davidia Involucrata.

Hello to Perki. Let me see the message

I've come across before on Hart's Canna website that they flower after the seventh leaf.

Good info. All these rhizomes do need a bit of tidying up from time to time. Irises grew into two layers of rhizomes and there were so much that I chucked them. Then two years ago, I decided that I should try my luck selling them. Some got sold and now I have bought about at least 7 more varieties. I pray to the Goddess of Horticulture that they are NOT INDIAN CHIEF again as all those I bought from Thompson * Mistakes have turned out to be exactly that! Mind you, I have wised up and bought some with flowers and some from gcs which properly label their stuff.

Great that it rained a bit last night and now it's raining snowflakes ..

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was very cold last night and at 11pm, the front lawn which is usually warmer because of the traffic was already covered with snow. Same this morning. Not totally, but exposing a bit of green. Cold and unforgiving!

Great, now I have to change the carpet as the plasterers have left irremovable stains on the carpet. I told the chief man to cover the carpet, he said it would be cleaned. Well, he meant vacuumed.

Well, I wont' change it as I am NOT staying here. But a lot of elbow grease to clean the white spots and the terrible dust. Already vacuumed the exposed area once. Will do it with Vax tomorrow, but I guess I need to be on all four to remove the stubborn stains.

Planted all the lovely hellebores, will go to another gc to get something that I want, just to make sure I have 2 of each. So glad that they are out of pots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
None of my Cannas bloomed for me last summer. I've decided they are just old and tired out. Buying new ones in April is the plan for now.
What kind on Cannas are you interested in getting?
It is very hard to find a supplier that sell virus free certified canna. I had to get refunds from 3 different places last year, their cannas were all virus infected even though they claimed otherwise...I finally found a few tissue culture grown from Brian's Botanical.
Good luck with your future purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question