5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

What kind on Cannas are you interested in getting?
It is very hard to find a supplier that sell virus free certified canna. I had to get refunds from 3 different places last year, their cannas were all virus infected even though they claimed otherwise...I finally found a few tissue culture grown from Brian's Botanical.
Good luck with your future purchase!

I'm falling asleep. It's so cold here. I suspected that the one I bought was dodgyand someone complained and the rest of the stock was reduced dramatically. Shame as I really like variegated cannas.

@johnny canoe Hope you come to a good solution.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lost in the interview. Now I can concentrate moving to another area. Son will love it.

Went out and it was bitterly cold. Nothing stirred, but water butts are happy. Will take out the other butts and fill them up. I know how dry it can be here. So much to do after plasterers are gone!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
View attachment 48882

I suspected that the one I bought was dodgyand someone complained and the rest of the stock was reduced dramatically. Shame as I really like variegated cannas.
I have these variegated ones:

African Sunset

Sunburst

Pretoria (Bengal Tiger)

I bought them last year online and they came in the mail already with leaves.
They grew so fast that after a few weeks I was able to split them into several plants for friends, and no matter how many cuttings I took you couldn't even see it...that is the difference between a healthy Canna and a virus positive one.

There are several different viruses (at least 5 that I know of) and not all of them are severe so it is hard sometime to tell a healthy plant from a sick one...stunt growth could be a virus symptom

I send Cannas to my family in Italy because they too can't seem to find healthy ones on the market, if you want some just pm :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some gems there, @Gemma! I think I bought the same African Sunset, as the leaves are bronze red, exactly like yours, but it was planted on a raised border and there it stayed, motionless. Yours are so pretty and they are tall and proud. The following time I went, the rest of the stock was reduced to a song. Someone must have spotted something. Not experienced in cannas ever, I had no idea what that might be.

I have raised some from seeds, but the red flowers were such a let-down - too small. After all the effort and one year of waiting .. I felt so deflated. Hopefully, they might get bigger and better this year. I have put them inside a dome and some others inside a toms greenhouse.

Yours are so home. I have seen tall and happy mass of them whilst travelling in the car. Sometimes, some flowers are so striking that I always want to take some photos, but the car is always swinging round the corner, making it impossible for me to immortalise the dark tall handsome and mysterious delphiniums.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You might laugh - this is the first time I have ever seen a pink cannas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is how they came in the mail, in a 4" little pot..I can't believe how fast they grew

One of the ones I order this year has light green leaves like the Pretoria but red bloom instead of orange..can't wait to see it!

Canna Tropicana (Phasion) has leaves similar to African Sunset, same orange blooms but it grows shorter and I have yet to find a virus free specimen. I wonder if maybe that could be the one you had?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You might laugh - this is the first time I have ever seen a pink cannas!
are you serious?
Then wait till I show you mine this Summer!
What about peach Cannas, have you seen those?

Attachments

• cannapeach1.jpg
    cannapeach1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
are you serious?
Then wait till I show you mine this Summer!
What about peach Cannas, have you seen those?

No. All I have been is yellow and red.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have just looked closer - very pretty ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No. All I have been is yellow and red.

I like to collect different colors, I'm so addicted

This red with yellow margins is a result from a seed taken from a pink Canna.

Sorry I carry on so much, I can talk about Cannas all day long and then some. I'm addicted!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Yellow edges look so fetching. We don't often see cannas here in our gcs. Diy gcs never stock them. Such an eye-opener, Gemma! Delectable!

We probably don't have the weather for them. The leaves of mine are now all brown and they look ever so distress. Where have you been storing in this snowy weather, Gemma?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Crikey! Is the white stuff in the compost perlite? Some investment!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cannas are easily adaptable to different climates, I still think they don't do good for you because the plants you had were not healthy to begin with.

I pulled the ones I want to save (don't have room for all) in the Fall, put the rhizomes in boxes of pine shaving and store them in the only unfinished little spot of the basement, where my water softener is.

Reactions: alp
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Crikey! Is the white stuff in the compost perlite? Some investment!
yes it is perlite! I get that from my nursery it's a blend of perlite, peat moss and fertilizer, very light, super good draining and cheaper than buying potting soil by the bag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice Canna's gemma , I've only got one at the moment which looks very familiar to one of yours called Durban or Phasion and many other names.

I had others as well in the past - Wyoming and Petroia , I wish I kept them now I got paranoid they had canna virus so got rid. Also grown Australia which has really nice chocolate colour leaves but I lost it last winter. There is a supplier in the UK which sell virus free canna called - Hart canna - but its quite expensive , I want another one called Shenandoah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question