Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, have to start sowing seeds, regardless of the weather.

Read this about the best way to cook broccoli to unlock its nutrients.

48FEF7F400000578-5367747-The_researchers_found_broccoli_needs_to_be_damaged_via_chopping_-a-2_1518103501325.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/fb-5368659/WHAT-HEALTHIEST-WAY-COOK-BROCCOLI.html

WHAT IS THE HEALTHIEST WAY TO COOK BROCCOLI?
Chopping broccoli into 2mm pieces and letting them 'sit' for 90 minutes before gently stir-frying increases their sulforaphane levels by 2.8 times, research suggests.

Previous studies show the compound sulforaphane helps to maintain people's blood sugar levels and may even have anti-cancer properties.

Although unclear exactly why this occurs, researchers from Zhejiang University in China believe waiting before cooking chopped broccoli may allow sulforaphane to 'develop'.

They add 30 minutes of sitting time may be sufficient.

It is important to chop broccoli as sulforaphane can only be absorbed if the vegetable is 'damaged'.

I think this is very useful if the research result is genuine and proven.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes.The bbc did a programme where people had to eat only raw veg. It took them a lot of time trying to eat it and it gave them the runs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I adore raw veg , whenever I prepare veg for a meal.....I tend to eat more that chop:D:ROFLMAO: All raw veg is great ,except potatoes!:eek:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Diffcult to sell on ebay, especially when ...(snip)... @MaryMary if you want to sell seeds,

Ah, alp, I was only yanking your chain. You have so much fun pollinating your flowers, that was what made me curious to try it. And I've read about you selling seeds on "fleabay," as you call it... just a joke... :LOL:

While I'm thinking about yanking someone's chain, where has @Verdun gone? :confused: :(

Chopping broccoli into 2mm pieces ...(snip)... It is important to chop broccoli as sulforaphane can only be absorbed if the vegetable is 'damaged'.

:eek: .07 inches!!! You might as well run it through a blender and eat it as a puree!! o_O Wonder if you could give it a couple good whacks with a meat tenderizer, and "bruise" it to damage it?
WHACK IT!!!
997077-MEAT-MALLET-BEECH-LARGE.jpg

They used to say it's better raw.

Mmm... raw broccoli dipped in ranch dressing or dill dip is quite wonderful. I like raw cauliflower better, though. (y)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Never tried both raw. Cook it in my pressure cooker. It's just like steaming it, lovely flavour.
I don't know where Verdun has gone, haven't seen him on Gardener's world forum or Gardening corner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was in conversation with him after Xmas and he did say he would be back soon.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed in past few years Verdun goes into hibernation during the winter months. He be back soon tells us which plants are flowering/growing while mine are still hiding or barely out of the ground :rolleyes:

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Never tried both raw. Cook it in my pressure cooker. It's just like steaming it, lovely flavour.
I don't know where Verdun has gone, haven't seen him on Gardener's world forum or Gardening corner.

Some people like broccoli so well cooked that it looks awful. i like it crunchy and just cooked.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
?
I've noticed in past few years Verdun goes into hibernation during the winter months. He be back soon tells us which plants are flowering/growing while mine are still hiding or barely out of the ground :rolleyes:

Whoa! HOLD THE HORSE! Perki, where have you been? Hibernating as well? Perki, How are you? We need to see your garden and the genius overworking borders.. What have you been up to, tell us mother hens!?:D:LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Today, we went to all sorts of garden centres. There is a lovely place called Bonnetts Garden Village! Well, it's in CM14. Such a lovely place. I never wanted to have a cup of tea in these garden centres, but today I nearly broke the rule.

The prices were reasonable. I bought a variegated holly in form of a standard for under £10. I should have 2, but I hadn't won the lottery, so I needed to be frugal. It's so civilised going towards the east, where trees are tall, houses not so built up and roads being bordered by big green fields.. So lovely! That's the England that I like. Cleared 1/3 of the lean to and have to do more tomorrow.

Bought more stuff .. Ooops.. I'm incorrigible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question