Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well we haven't had any cats and dogs here, but it's very windy.
:(:cry:

Oh, dear! I thought you would be spared watering the garden. For me, the most horrible thing is that the air is very dry and hot and no matter how much I water, evaporation has taken away of the moisture and yesterday when we came back from Hyde Hall, the tiles in my lean-to were warm even at 10pm!:eek:

Hope you get some rains soon. I think I won't have rain for at least 2 more weeks.

The Beechgrove Garden was brilliant. Lots of lovely flowers.

A Branklyn peony
Branklynpeony.jpg

Slipper orchids
BranO3.jpg
brankO.jpg

This one took my breath away
Branklyorh.jpg

Terrestrial orchid! What stunners! I'd love one!

The man made me cry: You can't grow these in London or Essex - it needs moisture and cool air. To tell you the truth, he told the truth, but I was too upset to accept it.
Even my Trollius Chinensis suffers from the lack of moisture or cool air! :cry::cry::cry:

brakmeco.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Alp, it's been cooler so only gave the blueberries a bit of water.

Those pictures look great.

Think you need to move west so you can grow more things.;)

Don't think it's going to rain, it dies out coming across the country.

The blueberries are starting to ripen, have to cover them with fleece so that the black birds don't get them.

Got the new tv, hubby's setting it up. It's very good.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
With the new TV, you can start the programme from the beginning even though the programme is half way through. I really love that feature. I think LG is a bit slow. I reckon with the sound system, it would be like enjoying films in a cinema, with head splitting loud 3D sound system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC is whistling .. with fun and smugness!
Yup thats me all this lovely rain makes me smile....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Well today was a pretty good day. I came home with a moulded fiberglass waterfall (not plastic) reduced from almost £200 down to £40 ex stock from another shop which made me smile even more than our precipitation quota lol, A Black Alder, 3 Phlox var. reduced and a Clematis Prince George...2 slate slabs and we had lunch on the go...I feel contented
waterfall.jpg

I have absolutely murdered the Iris pseudacorus (yellow) in the pond..it is too invasive and I will totally remove it in favour or another var. in the Autumn...I also removed most of the duckweed (which is the bane of my life...
I need 2x Juniperus Squamata 'Blue Carpet' to soften the edges and a nice spreading Campanula variety to complete the scene.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good haul BigC, the waterfall looks realistic. Looks like another project on the go, keep you busy, until the next project ;).

I bought a meconips when I went to hall carr, its got some flower buds on it so the camera will be out soon, my trollius golden queen is taller an I thought it would be. I agree with logan, you need to move west for the rain Alp. Otherwise you will have to revert to a Mediterranean / desert garden at this rate . We had a good downpour this evening ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We had a good downpour this evening ;)
Wah, wah, wah! :cry::cry::cry: It's the sound of crying. All cool and cloudy and 27c is predicted on Wednesday. Only 2 butts left and I haven't even finished watering for today. The dark cloud east of me has broken up and let in light .. I hope it's going to be cloudy today. But the atmosphere is drying up my soil. Shock horror. If I move west, it can be a rain shadow. As @Owdboggy pointed out, if you live in rain shadow, you don't even get the rain. Like those living in the rain shadow of Snowdonia!

Saw quite a few acres of land for sale at £300K, so tempted. I could easily mess it up like a ghetto! :LOL::banghead: ! £300K for I think more than 10 acres of land. I think we should form a club to buy it! Hehe! This one is in Tiverton! After that, son and I will have to live in a caravan for 10 years!:bigtears:

@BigC You need to move too as you have so many projects going and you need more and more room to showcase your genius skill sets! :D

Glad that you've picked up bargains. Yes, go to POSH places to get reduced stuff. DIY stores still want half price for dead plants. Saw plenty of dead penstemons in one place and they wilted badly, borderline life and death and yet they still wanted £3 for each pot.

I am waiting for my Easter Star chrysanthemum to open and hope it is not tidy.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon with the sound system, it would be like enjoying films in a cinema, with head splitting loud 3D sound system.

Yes thanks it's very good, that's what hubby got it for. Now he wants a blue ray player that plays 4k ultra hd. He'd have speakers in the ceiling if he could, but we've got fake beams on it so it wouldn't work very well. Unless he had the ceiling re done, but i know that he wouldn't do that.:)

@BigC that fountain looks so natural, glad that you found some plants that you like.:)

We had container ponds, but even them takes a lot to look after. Got rid of them last year and used the space for more blueberries.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa! Raining! No, RAINING!

Good heavens! Thanks for being generous and kind to my babies .. Don't JINX it! Shhhh!

Your hubby can nail something on the wall. Even I could send a nail to the wall. It's worth it. Then you lovebirds are perpetually in the cinema, dozing off from time to time! Long live retirement!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Your hubby can nail something on the wall. Even I could send a nail to the wall. It's worth it. Then you lovebirds are perpetually in the cinema, dozing off from time to time! Long live retirement!
Yes we've got 2 speakers on the wall at the back, 2 speakers on both sides of the sound system, a subwoofer and a speaker underneath the tv. It's always been his hobby, that's why we moved here and i wanted the bigger garden.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Logan: What a happy household - all your needs are satisfied. We are so lucky .. Hope everybody else who needs rain has it too! And no more wars for little innocent children all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question