Your day apart from gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bidding on trading cards on Ebay. Taking an interest in the hobby once again.

Charcandrick Panini 2015.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Bidding on trading cards on Ebay. Taking an interest in the hobby once again.

View attachment 82232

eBay can be quite helpful. If you've a particular interest in something and it isn't available. their website has a facility to send you an e-mail if that item later gets listed. Sometime ago I was searching for a particular 45rpm record which had a very limited number of copies issued. The only one available was on Discogs at £130. eBay sent me an e-mail yesterday advising me it now hosted a listing for a copy at £50. But I think I'll pass. Anything more than a fiver I'd consider a waste of money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is my Leak 2000 tuner/amplifier. It was made in 1976. I bought it quite cheaply on eBay over ten years ago to replace a Philips 790 tuner/amp I bought in 1972 which had given up the ghost. These Leaks are very popular and one in full good cosmetic and working condition will fetch over £100.

I use it mainly with my jukebox wall box systems to play mp3s through it and my big Goodmans speakers.

P1010801.JPG

It's also used if I want to listen to the radio, (rarely), play a record or a cassette.

It's also connected to the TV, so I can through it and the speakers, channel the TV sound, or a stick with music in the side of it.

Or any of this lot under the TV.

P1050333.JPG

Yesterday, I turned on its radio and moved the tuning knob to find a station, but nothing happened. When I took the top off I saw that the cord that drives the tuning gang had come of the wheels. I guess due to lack of use.

So this afternoon I decided to repair it. I have a service manual which has a whole page on how to "re-string" the tuning cord. But you need a special tool which I don't have, the cord is most unco-operative and unsurprisingly, a bit stiff after all these years. I had to make do with different hooks I made from gardening wire.
The access is terrible.
There's an illustration in the service manual to show you which way the cord goes around the wheels.

The cord travels round two little wheels at one end, one part moves the pointer along the dial, the other end goes twice round the spindle that is connected to the tuning knob, then twice round a three inch wheel connected to the tuning gang, then round two little wheels at the other end. It was an absolute pain to do and took me the best part of half an hour. I had to remove part of the front trim to get the cord round the right-hand wheel as there's a little metal plate that's supposed to stop the cord slipping off at that end. Then I had to make sure the pointer was in the right position. I then gave the wheels a spray with switch cleaner, oil would just gum them up.

Job done!

I'm now "all systems go." Though I've no idea when I'll next use the radio. But, "I like my stuff to be working," even if I rarely use it.

P1050330.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
past week was on jury duty. was 6 days total before we were allowed to discuss. finally Friday it ended at 3PM. so mentally exhausting. tough case. was in the newspapers. laying low resting this weekend. did get out for some food shopping. been puttering about.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Today hubby had his hernia repair operation and it went well but the surgeon said that it was a very bad one. He's at home now and fast asleep in his chair. He said that all he wants are lots of cups of tea, but he's asleep.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Mike yes he's doing well but got to make sure that he doesn't lift anything and he can't walk the boys for 5 or 6 weeks.
I'm ok now thank You.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Over a decade ago the local council changed all the bins round and we ended up with a non-recyclable bin that was half the size of the others.
I'm sick of having to stand in it to compress the rubbish bags in the second week before the fortnightly collection. I've found out that because of my wife being disabled, we're entitled to a full size bin. Because she rarely leaves the house she buys a lot of stuff on-line, it's the polystyrene boxes and packaging it generates that take up much of the space, even when broken down.

When I rebuilt the fence between the drive and the garden I created a low plinth to set two bins on so it was easier to hose down the drive. I had to extend it when it became three bins. The new bin will be too wide for the original plinth and the wheels would hang over the side.
So when I came home from golf this afternoon, I extended the plinth. I was able to prize off and re-use the bit I'd added before.
The ice cream tub with the granite set in it, is being used as shuttering.

The area still needs a bit of tarting up although I did level off the entrance to the patio, but I'll do that tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

P1050335.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I shuttered up the area to the right of the door to form another plinth. This will be for the green bin.
Presently it lives in front of the garage door. As there's no way I'm lugging it through the door and keeping it on the back patio, then dragging it back through the door to the front of the drive every week to be emptied.
It needed a bit of "fettling" as the right hand end of the plinth had to slope down to allow the garage door to be swung open when required. But now I'll be able to hose down the drive and the area in front of the garage, without moving the bin every time. The previous owner of this house had the green concrete drive laid. But later removed the first set of panels of the garage and stuck them on the back to give more room for his caravan he wanted to be able to turn the corner of the house and drag it round into the garden. So what's in front of the garage now, used to be part of the base.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Job done. Still a bit wet but it will even out when dry. Can't push the green bin any further back as there's the water supply and drain pipe to the tap and basin in the garage under the concrete below the fence. The insulating concrete stops any water in the waste pipe from the sink from freezing in cold weather, as it's a long reach without any fall. But now I won't have to move the bin if I want to use the blower or a hose on the drive.

I've pointed up the joints between the drive and the old garage base.

P1050339.JPG

Ready for our grey bin to be exchanged for a larger one on Tueday.

I've made it all normal concrete colour,

The dyed part to match the patio is now on the other side of the door.

P1050340.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
How simple jobs can turn out to be a real pain

A few weeks ago I replaced the door seal on our aging Baumatic oven, that took a bit of sourcing, as the servicing for these ovens is now handled by Hotpoint.

Today, I decided to clean the inside of the glass door. Over time, the grease had built up so it was beginning to obscure the glass. Not a real problem according to my wife. But it meant, "I couldn't see what I was getting for dinner without opening the oven door."

So just a question of removing the door and undoing a couple of screws and you can separate the door, its frame and the glass. Actually there's three bits of glass as there's one between the inner and outer ones suspended by four thick rubber corners with slots in them.

No problem cleaning the grease off the surfaces of the glass with turps substitute. Then put it back together.

Well.... not quite... There are four notched lugs on plates stuck to the inner glass that are supposed to be secured by clips in the frame. These clips I found had disintigrated due to heat over time when I removed the glass. There's no way the glass could be secured without them.

The chances of getting replacement clips today was nil. In fact given the age of the oven, they were likely to be, as we say in the jukebox world, "made of unobtainium."

The oven could not be used without securing the inner glass. So no chance of even getting a new door, "before the catering staff turned up to use the oven."
Given the "urgency" of the situation, I think I might have been expected to buy a new oven... this afternoon.

Anyway, I needed to find a solution, before the situation became "public knowledge."

I could see the lugs on the little arms on the plates on the insdide of the glass had a notch each side to engage with the clips. I found some 10 mm washers in the garage and with a combination of squeezing them in my vice and flattening them with a hammer several times, I made them into a lozenge shape with a narrow centre slot so that they could be fitted over the lugs and up against the sides of the hole in the frame where the clips would have been.
A while back my wife was going to chuck out a spool of very fine stainless steel wire she used with her costume jewellery making. But I hung onto it in case it came in useful.
So I was able to wind a number of turns of this around the notches in the lugs so securing the washer to the lug making the glass door firmly attached to the frame.

Then just a question of reassembling the door and replacing it and "no one was the wiser."

Ask a Question