HELP! My cacti is falling apart

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently bought a Dessert Gem cacti, I didn’t know how bad the dye was for the plant until I did some research when I got home. Anyways, the other day I accidentally broke one of its arms off and now it’s soft and falling apart. Some of the arms are literally just falling off. Please help, I don’t know what to do and I can’t find anything online. I don’t want the poor plant to die
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 170
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Set it on soil. It appears firm and ready to leave the parent plant. Some varieties propagate by their little arms breaking off and rooting else where. It’s also nice to have a full pot. I sometimes fill a pot or start new pots using their “branches”. Your choice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What you have in your palm is called a pear , it is a fruit though not necessarily edible. If placed on soil it will take root as long as the soil is not entirely dry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a Dessert Gem cacti, I didn’t know how bad the dye was for the plant until I did some research when I got home. Anyways, the other day I accidentally broke one of its arms off and now it’s soft and falling apart. Some of the arms are literally just falling off. Please help, I don’t know what to do and I can’t find anything online. I don’t want the poor plant to die
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes, I understand. Those painted cactus and succulents that are sold are simply awful. People buy those plants thinking they are buying a healthy plant. It is so very dishonest. I suppose if they clearly said it was like buying cut flowers, it would be more truthful, but even then the look is so ugly and garish . I just don't understand the reason for it.

It is commendable that you are trying to save this cactus, and your experience will be an education for us all. I do hope you will reply with a follow-up someday..

Is/was there anyway to 'gently' scrub off some the paint? I would recommend putting the plant in bright light, but still cool conditions.
You want light to reach the plant by way of any exposed crevices, but you don't want it to overheat. Water when dry as usual, though this will be less often as the plants growth will be curtailed at first.

Some natural green is showing through, so there is hope.

Ask a Question