Your day apart from gardening

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Sean Regan that's great. Our old cooker replaced the seals around the top oven door a few times and the seal around the main oven door once and latch on the main door. Managed to get them locally but I think no more.After a while the rubber seal on the top oven door couldn't get the right replacement had to be universal but didn't fit properly, so decided to have a new cooker, well it was 30 years old. When they fitted the new one the man said that they don't last very long only for about 5 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The old seal used to droop at the top if you opened the door when the oven was warm, so that problem was fixed. We did have to have the main controller changed about five or so years ago. But apart from that, it's been fine.

It has nine functions plus the usual buttons for the timer etc., Its best feature is that the sides and the roof can be removed for cleaning.

P1050374.JPG

It still looks OK and everything works. It replaced a far more expensive Stoves oven which didn't have a roof lining, so occasionally, "some of what you cooked yesterday would drip onto what you were cooking today" and when I asked, the manufacturers suggested we used a toothbrush to clean around the elements, so I gave it away.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The seal on mine used to break after some time from the heat, it was so annoying.
Yours is a built in oven, mine is a stand alone cooker it sticks out a bit more than the old one but couldn't get the exact size. Also I wanted a self cleaning liner for both ovens, only have to clean the bottom. But the main oven I put cooking foil on the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drove to London and attended my daughter's MA graduation ceremony. Because of covid it was an informal outside event, and so much nicer than sitting in a hall applauding people you don't know and listening to speeches. We got to meet and chat to her fellow students and lecturer, and she video called her especial friend who has gone home to India. I held her phone while her friend's father recorded her in India so he got them side by side on his TV throwing their mortar boards in the air :) She and her friend have been working together giving motivational sessions via video link to Indian companies, the wonders of modern technology. Anyway she is now a fully qualified Music Therapist and getting a reasonable amount of work, as well as running her 'Little piccolos' music sessions for under fives she started when she was still at uni. doing her BA, despite covid restrictions.

PS. that was yesterday, today I have slept nearly all day recovering. As a vulnerable person on immuno-suppressants I have hardly been out of the house and garden since it seems like forever, so that was a really big event for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Today turned out better than expected. My roses were delivered. The electrician engadged by the council, carried out his checks and up-rated the fuse box. I had fears of problems, but thankfully all went well. My granddaughter received confirmation that she had gained her BA with Hons and special marks. Subject. Photography and fine arts. She has her own little business that is attracting attention. CAVA fine arts studio.

Oliver. Please convey my congratulations to your daughter .

Other threads. Ovens. Losing my wife. Wowee! that's eleven years ago now. Seems like yesterday. How time is passing so fast. Although I had installed an electric cooker. Seperate glass type hob and seperate oven for Valerie. Now I avoid using the oven. I bought myself a daeoo glass halogen one. It's fast and easier to keep clean. Then there's the microwave. I have no dishwasher. Now it's 00.39hrs. Time for a tipple or two, then bed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
" My granddaughter received confirmation that she had gained her BA with Hons and special marks. Subject. Photography and fine arts. She has her own little business that is attracting attention. CAVA fine arts studio."

It's a real boost when you see the youngsters doing positive things with their lives, isn't it Mike. Thanks for the congratulations, I will pass it on when I see her, she will know she has a proud dad who boasts about her. Please do the same for your granddaughter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Today I got a puncture,

I wasn't covered by a breakdown service and I hadn't got a spare.

So I had to repair it myself before carrying on.

Fortunately, it was only in one of the tyres of my sack truck.

I do possess a puncture outfit, which I had unused in drawer in the garage, from the last time I had a bike, which was thirty years ago.
Wasn't really a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
rarity I stop at a garage sale. but yesterday, Saturday, there was this big, many tables type close to my house. So for a moment of time I went to check it out. Roaming my eye caught this pretty brandy sniffer, cut glass, gave true tone when striking it, and a good weight. How much I asked, One dollar was the responds. Good enough. Finding my dollar we did our exchange. Back home looking over the sniffer in good light I found the mark on it, Waterford. Looking up noted one would go for $80.00. I guess I did well. Think you call it boot sales.

just working on our next two trips, one to Vermont, in September and the other to Baltimore, Maryland in December. York, PA is in 3 weeks. Washing curtains, wiping windows. Also went about with my pint of white paint to tidy up, areas around the house that need a fresh coat, like the garage door. used my small trailer attached to the mower, loaded it with lots of dirt for the two stump holes that have sank, filling them. Also vaccumed out and cleaned our big SUV, for a short trip with family on Tuesday. Now for a glass of wine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I got a puncture,

I wasn't covered by a breakdown service and I hadn't got a spare.

So I had to repair it myself before carrying on.

Fortunately, it was only in one of the tyres of my sack truck.

I do possess a puncture outfit, which I had unused in drawer in the garage, from the last time I had a bike, which was thirty years ago.
Wasn't really a problem.
When I had the same problem I found the pressurised can of gunk I used to carry when I rode a motorbike and pumped both tyres up with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Daughter Amanda & granddaughter Chloee came over with my shopping and clean shirts. The doggies, Poppy-aged Bijon and Roxy a juvenile Border Collie, were pleased to see me. Going upstairs, Cloee was in front, and suddenly stopped. I was carrying close behind with a bag containg two 1.50 ltr bottles of scotch. Then off we went. The staircase is 13 steps. Reaching the landing/passage for me. I was done for. In the kitchen I stood panting and trying to ignor such a pain in the chest. Amanda, poor love was so concerned and hugged me and sat me down. I have to admit. I have been feeling a bit depressed of late, and this caused my eyes to water a bit. Was I frightened. NO. of course not. Bloody liar. Amanda phoned later in the evening to check up on me. She will obviously make this known to my cardiologist. Make you think, doesn't it.

Ask a Question