Apartment Therapy

Have you grown veggies or herbs indoors before?

• No, but I want to try

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently live in an apartment, and am expecting a baby. I have been researching the topic of indoor growing lately, because I want to move towards that, as I will be reserved to the house for a while, and would love to continue gardening. Also, I want to lean towards edible plants - vegetables and herbs mainly. I am looking for any tips or tricks to the trade of growing veggies/herbs indoors. I would not like to purchase an herb garden with a fake light. I also came across an article on growing lemons indoors as well, and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that as well. Please help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have grown many different vegetables indoors, BUT, to do so successfully you must have adequate light. I consider 6-8 hours of direct sunlight the minimum for most vegs and that is difficult to do in an apartment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have put herbs all over the place - inside and out. They tend to do best outside, obviously, but I've had them work indoors as well. The main thing is that they stay rather small because of the lack of heat and sunlight, as well as the size of the pot. But if you crave something ALIVE all winter, there's no better way to do it. I don't tend to use fresh herbs in winter as much as I do in summer, but I like to keep them alive (though sort of dormant) anyway, just to have something green.

This year I've had 2 basil plants on my window all summer. My plants outside are HUGE. These are just alive and well, but rather small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never been successful growing veggies indoors, but this year I've taken a few clippings of basil from the garden and have them growing on the kitchen windowsill. It's really thriving and I hope to have it all winter long.

Ask a Question