Your day apart from gardening

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Confirmed by the environment secretary peat based compost is going to be banned by 2024
Which is good but is there going to be a good alternative.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Today is hair washing day and hubby is watching this video because he like Tec stuff and I think that this guy Paul Hibbert is funny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
In the recent wet weather, we began to have a steady drip of water from the gutter above our back bedroom window. It was falling on the flat roof extension of our lounge. You could hear it in the room when the rain was heavy.

I was unable to get anyone to attend to it for at least a couple of weeks or more.
As a temporary measure, I put a bucket on the flat roof under it so when it overflowed the water wasn't constantly dripping on the same place on the roof all the time.

P1050093.JPG

So as we'd had a few dry days I decided this afternoon to have a look at it myself. Just a question of putting up a ladder up between the cross beams of the pergola and a second ladder up to the gutter. The problem was obvious, the gutter was completely full of moss. So when wet the water wasn't getting away and as where it was dripping there was a marginal dip in the gutter, it was overflowing there.
The moss had all dried out and was easy to brush away. I did the whole length of the gutter including next door's bit. I checked the joints in the gutter and they were all sound. So I've saved myself a few quid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I do find myself jobs to do.

I have this little cupboard in the tea-house.

P1030983.JPG

It's one I saved from when we had a new kitchen over fifteen years ago.
It's actually, a tall drawer, youre supposed to be able to pull it out to reveal some baskets to keep stuff in. But the mechanism is knackered and it's a fight every time to open it to get to the jukebox related tools, etc., I keep in there.
So this afternoon having had another fight with it to try to get at some cleaning materials, I'd had enough and decided to turn it into an ordinary cupboard, with a shelf inside. "There and then." At 6.00pm.

I managed to drag it all out and discarded everything apart from the front. To turn the front into a door, it needed Blum hinges fitted. Fortunately I'd saved several from the old kitchen units and I had a drill bit that's specifically for drilling the big shallow hole for that type of hinge. So it's done and dusted. Just a bit of a pain fitting the other half of the hinges in the unit. A "hands and knees job."
I was able to watch a bit of the tennis and now my Budweiser fridge on its stand is back in there under the TV (which I had to drag out of the way) I wasn't short of refteshment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The advantages with Blum hinges are that if you wsnt the door to stray open it will, but with a push it will snap shut and stay shut.

If at any time you want to take a door off, you just press the catch at the back of the hinge and it will pull off. They just snap on when you want to put them back.

There was no need for a door knob as there's the original brass channel on the top of the door that acts as the handle.

P1050231.JPG

Ask a Question