Your day apart from gardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I write for a hobby and have a video channel, 'Oliver Buckle' finds me on YouTube or my Facebook page 'The story shack'. It is mostly pieces I have written, all fairly short. I have not put up anything new for a while, but yesterday I managed to record and upload a 37 min. story. By far the longest I have done. The channel is hugely varied, but gardeners might like 'Flying lessons, it's about snails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
No gardening today.
When I find the TV choices poor, I've about 100 favourite films on my Humax hard drive I can watch..again. One file contains quite a few "film noir" classics. So today, I watched one of my favourites.
The 1944 film, "Laura" starring Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews and Clifton Webb.

The theme tune became a "jazz standard" and has been recorded by "the world and his wife... " even me.

https://app.box.com/s/rmvo76kx22r01xhpini1x939oacpr2uw

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment there's only 3 programmes on the BBC channels are Keeping Faith, Line Of Duty and Gardeners world, that is for the week. Rest of the time I watch YouTube or on forums.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment there's only 3 programmes on the BBC channels are Keeping Faith, Line Of Duty and Gardeners world, that is for the week. Rest of the time I watch YouTube or on forums.
You might have missed, Prince Phillip died. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You might have missed, Prince Phillip died. :)

Err..

It wasn't any better before!

I've lost patience with Line of Duty, In my opionion Jed Mercurio has "lost the plot." In how to keep an audience entertained.
The complexand detailed interview procedures the police have to follow which he probably thinks are interesting, I find boring and the shoot-out tonight was completely far-fetched. Many of the characters seem to be just following a script rather than what they would do in a real life situation.
The thought, "how convenient" came across my mind in several situations tonight.

As I mentioned before, I find it far inferior to ITV's "Unforgotten," the characterisation was far more realistic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna get all technical here.

One of my jukeboxes was presenting an increasing problem. Even though the youngest is over forty years old, they were "cutting edge technology" in their day. There are three overload trips as well as over a dozen fuses. The mechanical overload trip was being activated with increasing regularity, which meant that one of the four motors, the one that turns the record carousel and the wobble plate selector mechanism at the other end of the spindle, kept stopping. If I put it on "scan" the carousel will turn for as long as you want it to. It would turn a bit slow and keep tripping out until after half a dozen turns the motor would warm up and then it would be OK, until the next day I played it.

Anyway, I suspected the motor needed a bit of a service. So this afternoon I took it out.

Not an easy job.

The motor and gearbox that drives the carousel, is down the bottom to the right of the carousel and down under the gripper arm mechanism, you can see this area at 1.24 in my video.

There is an access panel at the bottom of the back, but you have to lie full length on the floor and get at the three securing bolts with "spinner," these are spanners, that look like screwdrivers.
Then you're mostly doing it by feel as you can't see clearly what you're doing.

Anyway I got it out took it to pieces, cleaned up the commutator with some emery paper and put it back together again. It's behaved faultlessly since I did it this afternoon.

My wife says I shouldn't be doing this at 81.

I could have "got a man in," but they are few and far between and some won't do house calls, they expect you to get it to them. So that's hire a van and you'd need at least one other person to help you as they weigh around 300lb.
If I could have found someone to come out, what with travel and labour, I'd have got no change out of £200.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Barley has a habbit of licking the grass and sometimes finding something to eat on his walks. Yesterday he'd been licking the grass and this morning came down and he had the diahhroea, hubby took him out while I made the breakfast, he seems to be alright now but have to give him plain toast for a few days. These 2 never cry when they're like that but the others were.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Last night at 10.30pm hubby took barley out for a last wee around the house to the back. When he went round our front garden there was a woman with a plastic bag bending over looking at our wallflowers. Hubby asked her what she was doing she said that she wanted one of our plants to put in her garden. She was about to pull one up. Hubby said to her that it wasn't going to happen and that we worked hard at making the garden look nice for us and other people going by. She said I'll buy you some flowers or another plant, hubby said no it's not on and if i find that you've done it I'll know who you are and that you'll be in trouble. She walked away and hubby checked to see if she came back but she didn't.
It's not the first time something like that has happened.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
This is when i was walking barley today, had to take him because hubby was having his second covid vaccination.
20210506_095851.jpg

20210506_095821.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went into Battle and was injured yesterday. Missed a double kerb and fell flat on my face in the middle of Battle high street, dislocated my right shoulder. Everything is so hard with only a left hand, planted out 19 mange tout seedlings and watered the greenhouse, then had to have a lie down. It's exhausting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The new stylus cleaning brushes arrived for my jukeboxes today.

It was easy enough to change them. They just slide in and ouit.

This is the old one on the 1969 jukebox. It was looking "dog rough."

P1050077 - Copy.JPG

The new one has firmer bristles. (a bit out of focus). I had to be careful I didn't bend the holding spring upwards, there would be a danger of the body of the brush taking off the stylus as the tone arm passed over it.
The mechanics of jukeboxes "take no prisoners."

P1050079.JPG

The 1976 box has a different mounting, a design improvement, no chance of getting the brush at the wrong height.

P1050075.JPG

Attachments

• P1050079.JPG
    P1050079.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not a lot today.

I was all set to go to golf but my car wouldn't start. It had been starting OK, always has, but the engine was turning over progressively slower. So I guessed it was the battery. I haven't been doing long runs lately, just mostly local stuff and a lot of stopping and starting so maybe the battery wasn't getting enough charge.
But today it wouldn't oblige. I called the emergency number of my insurers, they called the RAC. He was here within ten minutes. "I think he took slightly longer to get here than the automated voice on the phone took telling me all sorts of stuff about Covid, before a 'real' person responded to my request for service."

I was concerned that it might have been the alternator not charging. But they've this sophisticated kit on their vans that "tells them everything." He jump started it and it fired up first time. The test showed that it was the battery not holding charge and there was no problem with the alternator. I was pleased about that as that would have been a "dear do."
I could have then driven it down to Quick Fit or Halfords and got a new battery myself. I've done that with other cars. But I decided to let him get me a new one. It'll work out abou forty quid more than Hsalfords, but it will be a better battery. He's gone to Trafford Park to pick one up, he'll be back in an hour to fit it, as with the Covid situation, he's not getting many calls.
I'll have to punch in the security code for the radio afterwards, but fortunately, "I know where it is."

No golf, but there's going to be showers and I was in two minds about going anyway.
I'll probably clean the car inside and out (between the showers) and give the garage and shed a clean, I'm up to date with everything else in the garden.

Ask a Question