Winter Sweet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This Winter Sweet was given to me about 5 years ago in a little pot. I've actually cut it back a couple of times from the centre so it has the potential of being very big. My friend said she has memories of its lovely fragrance as a child. So far it hasn't flowered but I'm hoping this winter might be it. It has the large pods on it. I'm hoping that they will open up into flowers. Has anyone experience with this tree..
rps20180618_222423.jpg
rps20180618_222445.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Really hoping someone has some experience with Winter Sweet . I'm wondering if my friend who gave this to me was given the wrong plant. Stiil no flowers and too big for the spot I planted it, chosen awaiting the fragrant flowers that have never appeared. Large nutty pods instead. I want to move it if it's never going to perform. It's botanical name is Chimonanthus Praecox and google shows green pods, unlike the brown ones on my tree. Maybe there are male and female versions. I can't find any information so desperately hope someone out there in the big wide world knows something :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @DeborahJane. I've heard of this plant but know nothing about it so I've checked it out on the net, link below.....

Looking at your pictures I think the pods are seed pods and apparently the plant can be grown from seed. It might take a while though. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you Sheal. That was an interesting link. Nothing about the significance of brown seed pods as against green so I guess it is still a waiting game, maybe THIS winter! :sneaky:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I am ever so excited. The very first flower on my Winter Sweet. I was about to move it and take the risk of loosing it...i think it may have sensed its demise. But for a few weeks now lots of little buds and TODAY a beeeaaauuutiful tiny little flower....now looking forward to them all blooming and filling the air with its long awaited fragrance.

Attachments

• rps20190623_102024.jpg
    rps20190623_102024.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 152

Ask a Question