Where to buy seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

My husband and I were able to purchase a home with some acreage, and we're excited to start growing our own vegetables. I was curious if anyone had suggestions on where to get good quality heirloom seeds? I would really like to avoid just going to the local grocery store and buying seeds from there. Is Etsy an ok place to buy from?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I buy some of my seeds at Walmart, Lowes, local CO-OP. What is wrong with those?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here's some I use:

johnnyseeds
trueleafmarket
edenbrothers

Also, Amazon has agreements with many of those and several others but doesn't meet your small business criteria.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with those. We're just interested in finding a smaller business or even a homestead to buy from. Just a personal preference. Thanks for replying! :)

Ask around some of your gardening neighbors. I'm sure they have at least a few seeds they save and may be willing to part with some. I save my own bean, summer squash, cucumber, tomato, pepper seeds. Sometimes I buy tomato seeds because the hybrids do better in my soil. Some seeds are biennials so I just buy those as well.

Are you interesting in saving your own seeds? What kind of vegetables are you interested in growing?

Ask a Question