When do you start mowing your lawn?

Reaction score
My husband started up the riding mower and took it for a spin in the yard. I didn't realize our grass was tall enough already to have its first cut of the year. Sadly, it was! I like how our yard now looks freshly mowed and weed free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't started mowing my lawn yet, I feel that it's too soon. I'll start thinking about it in May. Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't have anything against messy lawns. In my opinion they look very natural and quite artistic. Not to mention that I'm too lazy to mow my lawn regularly:p

Reaction score
My dad might mow his in a few weeks, their grass isn't that tall, but it might get taller in a few weeks. We like to keep it as short as possible because of the danger of snakes, scorpions and others nasty critters that usually come out from their dens at around this time of the year.

Reaction score
Your grass will let you know when it's time . When its looks messy and unkept, then it's time to pull out the mower. I enjoy spring time and love to watch my grass grow. As soon as we get a heavy rain it grows overnight too, never cut your grass to short, it will kill it, exposing the roots.

Reaction score
right around the time i start seeing neighbors standing on their porches, staring at my lawn and shaking their heads. then i figure i need to cut it in the next week or two....maybe

Reaction score
I used to live in a rental house, and my housemate was the one responsible for the mowing (we all had our own duty, she wanted to do the mowing so we let her.) however, she'd wait until our yard was basically at jungle status and the neighbors stared to finally do it, then she'd wait until 3 or 4 weeks to do it again, which is way too long. She probably waited until mid-summer to start mowing. Now I live in a condo and the mowers come every week! They start coming around mid-April.

Reaction score
I actually mow my lawn every 3 months or so. In my lawn, the grass doesn't seem to be growing very quickly. I'm not sure if it's the lighting or what, but it just seems to be quite slow. That's sort of why I don't really plant any other plants either... I'm afraid they won't grow :(

Reaction score
Well we normally cut my lawn at least every time it rains and then it grows back so we try to get it cut at least every 2 weeks to keep it in shape.

Reaction score
A lot depends on how you want your lawn to look, if you want the fine ornamental look, then it will need cutting more often, in the UK I tend to cut mine after the first decent dry spell after winter, this can be as early as March, or even February some years. The important thing to remember is not to cut wet grass, as it tears rather than cuts.

It's also a good idea to water a lawn after cutting.

Reaction score
My lawn usually needs it's first cut around early April or so, about the time when it starts to warm up but still pretty rainy. It grows like crazy too, I'll have to mow it at least once a week until it starts to dry out by June. Then I can get away with a mow every couple weeks.

Reaction score
I'd say it's usually around March or April when I start mowing my lawn. After that I usually keep it trimmed every week or two. It's a pretty continuous process. I take a lot of pride in my lawn and I live in a subdivision so it's pretty noticeable if I let it go. I don't hire anyone to help me, as it's only about 2 acres of grass. I use a riding lawn mower, John Deer and it does the job very well. Never had any trouble with the mower yet and I've had it for a couple of years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I start mowing my lawn once it is a few inches tall. I use the left over cuttings as compost for my garden. However, sometimes I like long grass and will just let it grow. Luckily I have been having no problems with weeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Isn't the best time to start mowing the lawn in the Spring of the new year. Until then the yard is just dead.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well the last time I mowed my lawn was the end of August when it was still relatively hot. When September hit, the grass suddenly stopped growing! It's understandable though since the sudden temperature drop affects the grass. Also, less sun so there's that. I'm probably going to mow my lawn when it is warm and sunny outside (so most likely in March).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We actually mow year-round. My husband did the barn lot, front yard, and orchard area early last week, and I need to mow the back yard this week. Our grass, which is mostly Bermuda, slows down but never really stops growing. Luckily, all the grass clippings can go into the chicken coop for the ladies' entertainment!

Ask a Question