Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
13 April 2018 Sourdough Starter Bread
Posted on April 13, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/April 2018/13 April 2018 Sourdough Starter Bread/HTML/13 April 2018 Sourdough Starter Bread

Sourdough Starter Bread. Sourdough yeast from the air starter. It gets fed daily with whole wheat flour kept at room temperature. It is finally very active.Notice the CO2 bubbles. About two pounds is used to make two loves of sourdough bread. It is much a learning experience.
001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I ground the flour from wheat grains and assumed there was sufficient yeast in the kitchen to get results. This has been working for about a month. I only use whole wheat flour. I suppose it would be faster using more refined flour. There is much information on the internet. So far I am very pleased. I might add the bread made is very filling and I assume nourishing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I understand that while the variety of yeast floating about might occasionally turn out poorly, many unique and tasty varieties are also found "in the air". I know of strains passed along in families, each with a unique flavor, and even having been given names.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I am putting some effort in producing now. I tried once before and eventually gave up. My production at that time was far too sour for my palate. These batches are quite pleasant. Now I am working on improving the amount of rising. All efforts are in slow motion so it seems. Long rise times are the norm. It is a bit of learning experience. Also I like the business of making my flour from grains. Commercial flour is much emasculated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have yeast and containers in the shop waiting to be converted into mosquito traps. The CO2 production is key. I was even not aware of different rates of gas production between wild yeast and cultivated yeast until you mentioned this. Perhaps an increased temperature would help.

Ask a Question