ca
A

Advertising

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
us
Did you set the bowl outdoors to aquire the first yeast?

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
ca
I ground the flour from wheat grains and assumed there was sufficient yeast in the kitchen to get results. This has been working for about a month. I only use whole wheat flour. I suppose it would be faster using more refined flour. There is much information on the internet. So far I am very pleased. I might add the bread made is very filling and I assume nourishing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
us
I understand that while the variety of yeast floating about might occasionally turn out poorly, many unique and tasty varieties are also found "in the air". I know of strains passed along in families, each with a unique flavor, and even having been given names.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
ca
I am putting some effort in producing now. I tried once before and eventually gave up. My production at that time was far too sour for my palate. These batches are quite pleasant. Now I am working on improving the amount of rising. All efforts are in slow motion so it seems. Long rise times are the norm. It is a bit of learning experience. Also I like the business of making my flour from grains. Commercial flour is much emasculated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
us
I have yeast and containers in the shop waiting to be converted into mosquito traps. The CO2 production is key. I was even not aware of different rates of gas production between wild yeast and cultivated yeast until you mentioned this. Perhaps an increased temperature would help.

A

Advertising

Ask a Question