Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
4 April 2018 Garlic
Posted on April 4, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/April 2018/4 April 2018 Garlic/HTML/ 4 April 2018 Garlic

About a months supply of garlic was processed and kept in the freezer. To obtain maximum benefits of garlic it should be crushed and eaten raw. It is stored in an open container in the root cellar and keeps pristine for about 8 months. Processing is separate the cloves, cut the hard end off,remove the skin by using a tortilla press. Grind through a Champion juicer and mix the juice and the pith together. Place in cube sized pieces and place in a mold and freeze. Each cube is removed with a table knife and melted in a morning coffee. This is my method of ingesting raw garlic and seems to be acceptable.

028_std_std.jpg

028_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
4 May 2018 Garlic (Processing)
Posted on May 4, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/May 2018/4 May 2018 Garlic/HTML/ 4 May 2018 Garlic
A small cube of garlic is ingested daily. Garlic must be crushed and ingested raw to get the full touted benefits. The juicer used to remove the garlic skin from the cloves is still available. I have had one for years. Basically it is a strong hand juicer. A tortilla press can also be used but is slightly more difficult. After the cloves are bare, they are put through a Champion juicer to crush and make a fine slurry. The juice and pith are mixed and placed in cube freezing tray for storage.\

The press to remove garlic skin.
https://www.amazon.ca/Detachable-Gr...sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hand+press+juicer&psc=1

a%20021_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Another option since we only use ours for cooking is to food process it, followed by freezing in bags and it is easy to store in the freezer.

Attachments

• garlic hand size 6-2-12.jpg
    garlic hand size 6-2-12.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 220
  • garlic processed -froze.jpg
    garlic processed -froze.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've frozen whole small peeled garlic cloves, but never thought to process it and then freeze. Do you do it in small amounts (perhaps a tablespoon) and then freeze, or just shave off the amount you need from the frozen mass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The wife also froze cloves at one time but then determined it was easier to just pinch off the amount she wanted from the frozen bag contents.
I believe she puts several of the Elephant Garlic cloves in her small food processor that may measure a cup or two, chops them fine and fills the quart bags.

My job is to dig it, wash and peel to the processor state so I don't know much about her procedure and try to stay in hiding after my part is done.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I eat a frozen cube daily. It is palatable. I tried other methods, but discarded all. Garlic must be crushed to get the benefits. Heat generally destroys the touted benefits. I am assuming frozen carries all the benefits.

Ask a Question