28 April 2018 Garden (Preparation for Planting)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
28 April 2018 Garden (Preparation for Planting)
Posted on April 28, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/April 2018/28 April 2018 Garden/HTML/ 28 April 2018 Garden

Garden beds are being prepared for planting, if it ever warms up). A 13 amp electric rototiller with cord was purchased as an experiment. All the beds were rototilled using it. Reason for buying is nobody can repair the new engine tillers. They do not understand the carborators and attempting to get repairs is hopeless plus being expensive for half repair.
The electric tiller works reasonably well. Not once did it stall.The frustration of starting, of course,is eliminated. The tangs could be better designed but that is a minor issue-cleaning vines out.
009_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would debate your point about carburators since they operate on the venturi principle but the results of your electric efforts look good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Durgan, I agree with your assessment of carburetors but I have found that as often as not when a small engine has problems it is the governor. I had a couple of generators and a neighbor had one that just wouldn’t run. I decided to educate myself on carburetors so I bought some small engine repair books and watched a ton of YouTube videos. I found that in the USA generators must run at 3,600 rpms to produce 60 cycles. This is why a governor is so critical on generators. On tillers the exact rpms aren’t as critical but must be maintained within a certain range to perform properly.

With proper maintenance and the right equipment I think I will be able to keep my tiller and generators running good. I'll tell You if I’m right in a few years.

BTW, your soil looks great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
All I know is taking my Honda FG110 to different service people, it is too expensive to operate. Every time I take it put I am exhausted trying to start it. The old Briggs Stratton's operated for years without constant maintenance. This is applicable to weed wacker, rototiller and any other thing that uses a new engine. I also might add that most are under powered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When Honda is good it’s very good but when it’s bad, it’s junk. I can’t work on Honda motors and even if I could the parts are prohibitively expensive if they are available at all. Give me a Briggs & Stratton or Koehler engine any day.

Ask a Question