When do you start mowing your lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Living in Indiana, we tend to try to wait as long as possible to start mowing. It is very rainy in the spring here, and if you start too early with mowing, you will fund yourself mowing every other day just to keep it trimmed. I usually begin around the middle of April most years. That is when the rains let up and there is more sunshine than rain. Even then I am mowing twice a week to keep up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My grass really does not grow fast. And we have drifts of small early spring bulbs that pop up of which we enjoy the colors. I am thinking, our first grass cut is usually mid May.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I never stopped :) My problem is I look after so many gardens apart from my own pride and joy! As I am and have been making a job out of horticulture all my life and have loads of gardens of all descriptions and sizes to take care of .. one is a wedding venue (vary big) a couple of acre and 2 acre show gardens & loads of cottage & small or large posh jobs And there is always some grass to cut somewhere:rolleyes:..... I've only cut my own grass once this year so far at the moment I have snow drops, crocus getting ready to pop up out, plus blue bells & narcissi amongst other things growing on much of my grass so not all is in need of mowers yet.... Good tip is don't cut to short ;)

ps.... My neighbour asked if he could use my lawnmower. I told him of course he could, so long as he didn't take it out of my garden.:whistle:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now my lawn is covered with snow. I usually start mowing sometime in April. It just depends on the weather. When it starts looking uneven and ragged then it is time to mow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
We wait a very long time before we mow for the first time. We give the grass time to establish healthy deep roots again, under the protection of lush green. In the past, if we cut it too soon, the grass stays dry and brown all summer. Once it is nice and long and health, we mow it, but still leave it a bit long. Then we mow about every two weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Usually our lawn doesn't start growing enough to be mowed again until around April timeframe. We just play it by ear and keep an eye on it - when it starts looking too long we will be out there in a flash!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've mowed both of my lawns this last week, a couple of weeks earlier than usual because the weather has been mild through this winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I won't mow until late April or early May, I like the lawn to get a good start before I cut it, There to much snow on the ground to even think about mowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No matter how raggedy my lawn looks, I don't do anything until 1 April. Then I do everything.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I mow my lawn when it looks reasonably unkempt. I draw an analogy with what prompts one to have a haircut. You can also mow based on a time interval but this should be derived by studying the time frame between mowing and when the lawn becomes unkempt. After mowing, an application of Magnesium sulphate foliar feed induces an attractive green grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
By the way, I have huge drifts of blue flowers that bloom in my lawn (bulbs) and huge drifts of crocus that bloom in my lawn. Not together, in different areas. Some come up very early, mid early etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As long as the lawn isn't wet, muddy or covered in snow I mow it. I have a lawn clippings bag on my mower so even when there is no grass to cut it still sucks up leaves and other debri. I am a huge fan of having a plush, good looking lawn even in the winter and fall when the grass stops growing and turns brown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I broke my own rule. With the last energy left in my battery, I caved and mowed on Sunday. Now we've had four days of light rain and drizzle, and my lawn looks maaaaavelous. It's the shortest and neatest in the 'hood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I took my mower out yesterday and started it up and then the cane came :ROFLMAO: teach me to do some thing before its time.

Ask a Question